pppd and sudo

Post by pierre.. » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

  I am unable to get ppd to work for a normal user. When runned as root, it
does connect me  without any problem. When runned as normal user, I get very
few feedback. I tried two  methods:

                     a/ change permissions and groups on ppp-go and pppd
                     ---> I get "device cannot be overridden" message

  b/ use sudo  ----> I get absolutely no feedback (except the ECHOs I added
as a dumb debugging). I just  doesn't connect (no modem reaction). The
strangest is that if I su as root, then it works!!

  I would like to solve b/ as it seems to be the most secure. I'm using Sudo
version 1.6.3 on  Zipslack (latest).  Here is my sudoers file:

  -------------------------- sudoer file ------------------------------  #
sudoers file.  # User alias specification  User_Alias FULLUSERS = pierre  #
Host Alias  Host_Alias PC = darkstar, localhost, 127.0.0.1  # Cmnd alias
specification  Cmnd_Alias CONNECT = /usr/sbin/ppp-go, /usr/sbin/ppp-off,
/usr/sbin/pppd  Cmnd_Alias HALT = /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot  # User privilege
specification  root ALL = (ALL) ALL  pierre ALL =(root) NOPASSWD: CONNECT,
HALT

  sudo -l shows me that I'm allowed to use the specified commands and I am
indeed able to  halt or reboot my machine as normal user. I have no
permissions warning when I execute  ppp-go, it is just that the connection
doesn't happen (the modem doesn't react at all).  Therefore it seems that
sudo is configured correctly ...

  Here is my ppp-go file:  ---------------------- ppp-go
-------------------------------------  #!/bin/sh  echo START  rm -f
/var/spool/uucp/LCK* /var/run/ppp*.pid  echo PPPD starting  /usr/sbin/pppd
/dev/modem connect 'chat -v -f /usr/bin/.pppscript' defaultroute 115200 &
echo DONE

  Does anybody have an idea? Why does ppp-go works if I su as root and not
with sudo?  Should I had some files or commands to the sudoers file?

                     Any help welcome!

                     Pierre

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

[...]

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

cd /usr/sbin
chmod a+rx pppd chat
chmod +s pppd
chmod a+rw /dev/ttyS?