NFS annoyances

Post by Lizz Norto » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

NFS is annoying, although not quite as annoying as RAID.  But anyways.

I'm exporting a filesystem (a RAID1 array, if you must know) from
RedHat6.2 to Solaris.  I believe my /etc/exports file to be
correct.  Exporting a different device from a different RH6.2 machine to
the same solaris machine works, so it's got to be a problem at the server
side.

Anyways, the basic problem is that after the mount command it prints:

nfs mount: mymachine.mydomain: : RPC: Program not registered
nfs mount: retrying: /mnt/point

and then it just hangs.  It's not using CPU time.

nfsd is running.  mountd is running.  portmap is running.  there's nothing
in /etc/hosts.deny.  Does anybody know what the problem could be?

Lizz Norton

NFS annoyances

Post by Tom East » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>NFS is annoying, although not quite as annoying as RAID.  But anyways.

>I'm exporting a filesystem (a RAID1 array, if you must know) from
>RedHat6.2 to Solaris.  I believe my /etc/exports file to be
>correct.  Exporting a different device from a different RH6.2 machine to
>the same solaris machine works, so it's got to be a problem at the server
>side.

>Anyways, the basic problem is that after the mount command it prints:

>nfs mount: mymachine.mydomain: : RPC: Program not registered
>nfs mount: retrying: /mnt/point

>and then it just hangs.  It's not using CPU time.

>nfsd is running.  mountd is running.  portmap is running.  there's nothing
>in /etc/hosts.deny.  Does anybody know what the problem could be?

IIRC, mounting from Solaris also requires lockd -- try

        /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock start

If that corrects the problem then:

        chkconfig -- level 3 nfslock on
        chkconfig -- level 5 nfslock on

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

NFS annoyances

Post by Tom East » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>IIRC, mounting from Solaris also requires lockd -- try

>    /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock start

>If that corrects the problem then:

>    chkconfig -- level 3 nfslock on
>    chkconfig -- level 5 nfslock on

Pardon me for following up my own post but another consideration for
Solaris clients is that nfsd must be started with the "--no-nfs-version 3"
option. If you use that standard RedHat SysVInit script to start nfsd
(/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs) then the options is set already.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

NFS annoyances

Post by Lizz Norto » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >IIRC, mounting from Solaris also requires lockd -- try

> >       /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfslock start

> >If that corrects the problem then:

> >       chkconfig -- level 3 nfslock on
> >       chkconfig -- level 5 nfslock on

> Pardon me for following up my own post but another consideration for
> Solaris clients is that nfsd must be started with the "--no-nfs-version 3"
> option. If you use that standard RedHat SysVInit script to start nfsd
> (/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs) then the options is set already.

nfsd isn't started with that.  mountd is.  But I tried the other (starting
nfslock), and it still hangs.  I, of course, still have no clue.

Lizz Norton

NFS annoyances

Post by Bob Hau » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:17:13 -0700, Lizz Norton

>nfs mount: mymachine.mydomain: : RPC: Program not registered
>nfs mount: retrying: /mnt/point

Is the portmapper running on the Red Hat side?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

NFS annoyances

Post by Lizz Norto » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:17:13 -0700, Lizz Norton

> >nfs mount: mymachine.mydomain: : RPC: Program not registered
> >nfs mount: retrying: /mnt/point

> Is the portmapper running on the Red Hat side?

Yes, portmapper is running.  Yes, mountd is running.  Yes, nfsd is
running.  No, it's not forbidden in hosts.deny.  I have tried restarting
all of these things, to no avail.

Right now, I'm only looking at the server side for the problem, because
I'm nearly positive that is where the problem is.  But I am still lost.

Lizz Norton

NFS annoyances

Post by Tobias Vancu » Mon, 24 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Lizz,

have you tried to reboot the machine? I had a similar
problem with our NFS server which stopped serving after I
had played around with it and nothing could reanimate it
though the configuration seemed perfectly fine. The last
resort was to reboot it and after that (no changes in conf
files) it worked again.

I remember that a friend of mine said that he had
experienced the same problem with NFS.

Probably someone can comment on his?

Tobias

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:14:20 -0700, Lizz Norton

>> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:17:13 -0700, Lizz Norton

>> >nfs mount: mymachine.mydomain: : RPC: Program not registered
>> >nfs mount: retrying: /mnt/point

>> Is the portmapper running on the Red Hat side?

>Yes, portmapper is running.  Yes, mountd is running.  Yes, nfsd is
>running.  No, it's not forbidden in hosts.deny.  I have tried restarting
>all of these things, to no avail.

>Right now, I'm only looking at the server side for the problem, because
>I'm nearly positive that is where the problem is.  But I am still lost.

>Lizz Norton

1. NFS BW-NFS and PC-NFS

I am having trouble mounting a file system on my linux box.  I have tried
to use either BW-NFS or PC-NFS on several PC's to mount a machine running
Linux (1.1.18).  I have portmapper running along with mountd , and either
PC-NFS or BW-NFS daemons.

I try to map d: to a file system that is in my exports file and the PC hangs.
Has anyone seen this problem.  I am able to use telnet and ping from these
machines but NFS is not working.

Thomas Glaser
PC/Network Admin.
University Book Store

2. mmap() return value when length == 0

3. zsh annoyance

4. Differences in products

5. AfterStep annoyance

6. FreeBSD on a laptop with Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA card?

7. Annoyance after memory upgrade

8. linux can't recognize 3c503

9. Mandrake 9.1 / KDE annoyance (help requested)

10. annoyances.org

11. Multiple-login write annoyance

12. Multicast Attack - or Annoyance?

13. FVWM/XFree Annoyance!