Network application design

Post by sagen.. » Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:28:16

The design issue is detailed as following:

One application will write data to a flat file about every hour.  Once
the flat file is updated, it must be transmitted to three different
remote locations simultaneously.  The requirement is that the three
remote locations must receive the flat file at the same time within a
second, or the transfer was failed, that is, it cannot be that some
locations receive the flat file and the others do not.

What kind of network protocol and interface is best to meet this
requirement to transport a flat file from one location to three
locations simultaneously within a second?  Thanks in advance.

Network application design

Post by ed » Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:20:47

On 9 Aug 2006 07:28:16 -0700

> The design issue is detailed as following:

> One application will write data to a flat file about every hour.  Once
> the flat file is updated, it must be transmitted to three different
> remote locations simultaneously.  The requirement is that the three
> remote locations must receive the flat file at the same time within a
> second, or the transfer was failed, that is, it cannot be that some
> locations receive the flat file and the others do not.

> What kind of network protocol and interface is best to meet this
> requirement to transport a flat file from one location to three
> locations simultaneously within a second?  Thanks in advance.

This was cross posted in comp.unix.programmer, god knows where else.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.bsdwarez.net
just another java person

1. Network application design question

I need a little help getting started in the right direction:

I'm developing an application that has a server side and a client side.
  It's possible that multiple servers and multiple clients could all be
on the same network.

Whenever the server machine comes up, he needs to "look" around for
clients that aren't connected to a server.  The user on the server
machine then chooses which unconnected client to connect to.

I would like the actual connection to be based on TCP-IP and I think
I've got a good handle on how to do that.  My problem is finding a way:

1.  For the clients to "announce" their presence on the network (I've
done this with a heartbeat type message in UDP, is it possible in TCP?)

2.  For the server to recognize the unconnected clients without
establishing exclusive connections with the clients until the user
selects that client.

3.  For the clients to stop "announcing" their presence on the network
after a connection has been made.

Any help coming up with a general approach is appreciated,
Stephen

2. from sendmail to postfix

3. install

4. need help on designing a network application

5. Help with e2fsck / umount

6. need help on design a network application

7. rm files from tree but not dirs

8. Finding partner to design Webstore application

9. New project: web design/management application

10. Designing a Multithreaded Application

11. need some advice regarding application design

12. ANNOUNCE: WebObjects - Object-Oriented Application Design!