Network problem (ARP not working?)

Post by zida » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:25:00

Dear all

Here the set-up:
a laptop with suse 7.0 connected in a private network made by sun and hp
unix workstations throu a ethernet interface.

The interface seems to be well configured (IP and routing tables are
reasonable) anyhow the arp table of the linux box has some problems: many
entries as shown by the "arp -n" command are displayed with the tag
"incomplete" in place of the MAC address.
I can't ping any machine within my network (either if the related MAC is in
the local ARP table or not) and if I sneef (with "tcpdump" utility) the
packets transited by my linux box I only see "arp request" frames without
any "arp request reply" (even if the arp reply has been sent from the
destination node).

Are there any tcp-ip default settings (timers or so on) that are not
"standard" or ar least "copliant" with solaris or hp-ux once?

Thanks in advance

zidam

Network problem (ARP not working?)

Post by David K. Mean » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:19:05

It is likely that you have a disagreement between your Linux box and
the Sun and HP boxes over the netmask.  This can cause ARPs to be
ignored, or the replies to go astray.

Quote:> Dear all

> Here the set-up:
> a laptop with suse 7.0 connected in a private network made by sun and hp
> unix workstations throu a ethernet interface.

> The interface seems to be well configured (IP and routing tables are
> reasonable) anyhow the arp table of the linux box has some problems: many
> entries as shown by the "arp -n" command are displayed with the tag
> "incomplete" in place of the MAC address.
> I can't ping any machine within my network (either if the related MAC is
in
> the local ARP table or not) and if I sneef (with "tcpdump" utility) the
> packets transited by my linux box I only see "arp request" frames without
> any "arp request reply" (even if the arp reply has been sent from the
> destination node).

> Are there any tcp-ip default settings (timers or so on) that are not
> "standard" or ar least "copliant" with solaris or hp-ux once?

> Thanks in advance

> zidam

1. I can not get ARP to work, even though /proc/net/arp is correct!

Hi
I have a two Linux boxes connected via ethernet. All works well but arp
on both machines gives me few lines of data that have nothing to do with
my conbfig. IP addresses are something like (32.32.12.1) at incomplete,
not my real ethernet and IP addresses. However if I check /proc/net/arp
it DOES have the correct ethernet address. My ifconfig is arp enabled,
Kernel 1.2.0, all functions that are supposed to use arp resolviong work
(rip updates and stuff OK) but arp -a gives that garbage??
Please let me know if you have seen this before!
Boyan

Boyan G. Biandov                           Network Research and Development
833 Market St. Suite 700                   Uptime Resources Inc.
San Francisco, CA.94111                    (415) 979-0626 ext. 250

2. CGI basic authentication

3. To ARP or not to arp ...

4. X Server for Mac

5. arp command does not work!

6. Solaris 7.0 Intel , lost passwd

7. Proxy arp not working in Linux

8. trouble w/ tkined

9. Arp and sliplogin not working, HELP!

10. does proxy arp not work in solaris 2.3 or 2.4?

11. Arp not working

12. arp(8) not working as expected

13. Proxy arp does not work