Help with Ethernet SMC EtherEZ

Post by RootX1 » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

I have an old isa SMC EtherEZ card on my Linux 2.2.13 computer.  I don't
know much about this card, other than it is ISA.  I want to figure out
the IRQ, IO and module it uses so I can get it working on my LAN.  Can
anyone help me?  E-mail me directly and post at the news group please.
Thank you.

Post by Adria » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

> I have an old isa SMC EtherEZ card on my Linux 2.2.13 computer.  I don't
> know much about this card, other than it is ISA.  I want to figure out
> the IRQ, IO and module it uses so I can get it working on my LAN.  Can
> anyone help me?  E-mail me directly and post at the news group please.
> Thank you.

I have a couple of these in my machines at work and they work just fine.
There is a utility available from SMC for configuring the I/O in BIOS
and turning off the card PNP. Sorry, I don't have the URL handy.

Adrian
--
- I just tried this on my old Packard Bell 486/66 w/4MB (Hey ...
- shut-up! I was young, ignorant, and didn't know anything about

Help with Ethernet SMC EtherEZ

Post by RootX1 » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

> > I have an old isa SMC EtherEZ card on my Linux 2.2.13 computer.  I don't
> > know much about this card, other than it is ISA.  I want to figure out
> > the IRQ, IO and module it uses so I can get it working on my LAN.  Can
> > anyone help me?  E-mail me directly and post at the news group please.
> > Thank you.

> I have a couple of these in my machines at work and they work just fine.
> There is a utility available from SMC for configuring the I/O in BIOS
> and turning off the card PNP. Sorry, I don't have the URL handy.

> Adrian
> --
> - I just tried this on my old Packard Bell 486/66 w/4MB (Hey ...
> - shut-up! I was young, ignorant, and didn't know anything about
> - hardware or quality manufacturers.).

Do you know where I could get the url?

Help with Ethernet SMC EtherEZ

Post by Adria » Mon, 15 May 2000 04:00:00

> Do you know where I could get the url?

http://www.smc.com/smc/pages_html/homef.html

Adrian
--
- I just tried this on my old Packard Bell 486/66 w/4MB (Hey ...
- shut-up! I was young, ignorant, and didn't know anything about
- hardware or quality manufacturers.).

1. Need help with SMC EtherEZ ethernet card setup...please read :)

I am running Slackware 3.0 and I have been trying for about 2 weeks
to get an ethernet connection that I have in my dorm room to work through
linux...it works like a charm in Win95, but I _really_ would like to use
it for linux.

My ethernet card is a SMC EtherEZ card, so perhaps that right there is
a problem???  Linux identifies the card in its bootup screen.  I have
also gone through and made all the changes that I have felt I needed to
to numerous files in the /etc directory dealing with networking (I have
read both net-2-howto and I have a linux admin book which I bought).

Basically what I am wondering is, if someone out there might be willing
to be patient with me and try to walk me through it all.  I will
gladly upload any files from Linux that you want to view, including
the bootup messages and anything else.  I just don't want to SPAM this
list by uploading it all here.

One other thing to add, my university uses dynamic allocation of IP
addresses for the dorm rooms, so at any given time my IP address
can differ from 147.226.113.128 to 147.226.113.255.  I don't know if
this makes a big difference, but I have tried to get it to except
dynamic allocation, but it just won't work.  The best that it will
do right now is display a:  Trying 147.226.53.6...
message whenever I try to telnet anywhere other then localhost...it never
connects; and yes, I have tried numerous other hosts to make sure that
it wasn't just that one which was done.

If someone has the time and interest, I would really appreciate any kind
of help that you could give me.  Please email me a response or post here
if its easier.

Thanks,

Jeff Hanks

2. I cant install from mksysb on 6C4 with LTO tape ?

3. SMC EtherEZ Ethernet 8020 pcmcia

4. Wildcards

5. SMC EtherEZ Ethernet Card

6. Connecting Linux to an EMC Symmetrix.

7. ISA Ethernet Card SMC Etherez 8416 not detected by Redhat 5.0

8. domainname command not found in infomagic dec '94

9. SMC EtherEZ 10/100 Ethernet Card

10. SMC 83c795 (EtherEZ) and SMC Ultra driver

11. SMC-EtherEZ(Ultra) giving "bogus packet size" HELP, PLEASE!

12. Help on SMC-EtherEZ card, please

13. help on SMC EtherEz(8416t)