"Modem busy" - Mandrake 8.0 Why??

Post by Dave Metved » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:14:30

When I query my modem using Linux Mandrake 8.0 I get a "modem busy" message
come up when clearly the modem is not busy, well at least as far as I can
tell. Why is this and how do I correct it??
-Dave Metvedt (thur UBC Linux networking 1)

"Modem busy" - Mandrake 8.0 Why??

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:22:32

> When I query my modem using Linux Mandrake 8.0 I get a "modem busy" message
> come up when clearly the modem is not busy, well at least as far as I can
> tell. Why is this and how do I correct it??

Is this a new linux installation?  If not, has the modem worked
properly for you in linux before going to Mandrake 8.0?  If this
is a new installation, or if the modem has never worked for you
in linux, check to be sure that your modem is a "real" (hardware)
modem, not a "Winmodem."  If your modem is an external, serial
modem you may just need to tweak your serial port settings.  If
it's an internal (especially PCI) modem make sure you don't have
a Winmodem as these require a Windows-only driver to work
properly.  If it's a USB modem you'll need to configure your
kernel for USB serial support.

--

"Modem busy" - Mandrake 8.0 Why??

Post by Clifford Kit » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 08:18:11

> When I query my modem using Linux Mandrake 8.0 I get a "modem busy"
> message come up when clearly the modem is not busy, well at least
> as far as I can tell. Why is this and how do I correct it??

Without more solid information we can only guess.  Maybe some other
process is using the IRQ configured for the modem's device file.
Maybe there's a stale lock file.

BTW you don't query anything with a distribution, you need to use a
program (that may come with the distribution).

--

/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife.
   Use =} to wrap paragraphs in vi.  Or put   map ^] !}fmt -72^M   in