Changed root password

Post by Chris Smit » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:20:13

Greetings,

I changed the root password using the recommended method - restart in single
user mode, run passwd root and set the new password.

Sadly, several servers seem to have stopped working. I cannot log in using
SSH (messages log just has 'Connection Refused' entries) as root. SAMBA
seems to die on occasions, and I cannot start a remote X-Windows session
using vncserver; whatever session number I try and start, it reports that a
session is already running with that ID; even though there isn't.

Did I miss a step here ?

Regards
Chris Smith

Changed root password

Post by suresh kodat » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:48:36

> Greetings,

> I changed the root password using the recommended method - restart in single
> user mode, run passwd root and set the new password.

> Sadly, several servers seem to have stopped working. I cannot log in using
> SSH (messages log just has 'Connection Refused' entries) as root.

Now boot into normal mode and you would get the services running...
Those services cannot be run under 'linux single' more
-suresh

Changed root password

Post by John Winte » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:06:11

>Greetings,

>I changed the root password using the recommended method - restart in single
>user mode, run passwd root and set the new password.

There's no need to switch to single user mode just to change root's
password - who recommended that method?

Quote:>Sadly, several servers seem to have stopped working. I cannot log in using
>SSH (messages log just has 'Connection Refused' entries) as root. SAMBA
>seems to die on occasions, and I cannot start a remote X-Windows session
>using vncserver; whatever session number I try and start, it reports that a
>session is already running with that ID; even though there isn't.

You did remember to go back to a normal run level didn't you?

Quote:>Did I miss a step here ?

One too many I think.

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

Changed root password

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:48:59

Hi!,

Quote:> I changed the root password using the recommended method - restart in
> single user mode, run passwd root and set the new password.

> Sadly, several servers seem to have stopped working. I cannot log in using
> SSH (messages log just has 'Connection Refused' entries) as root. SAMBA
> seems to die on occasions, and I cannot start a remote X-Windows session
> using vncserver; whatever session number I try and start, it reports that a
> session is already running with that ID; even though there isn't.

When you mention several servers, are we talking about a NIS setup here.  If
we are, you will need to login to the system and rebuild the NIS map and
redistribute the password out to all the clients.  I am just not sure whether
you are unable to log into the one server box or you are not able to log into
many server boxes.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Changed root password

Post by Chris Smit » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:09:50

Thanks for the various replies.

I assume I have returned to multiuser mode - I restarted the machine taking
the default options, rather than 'linux -s' for single user. The
'recommendation' to switch to single user mode for root password change just
came from browsing news groups; maybe I picked up the wrong end of the stick
there; but I assume it shouldn't do any harm.

My wording was rather confusing about the 'servers'. I meant server
applications rather than server machines - we are only talking one PC here.
It is not a NIS setup; the machine is a general purpose gateway/firewall and
samba server for a bunch of Windoze pc's. I log into it using SSH locally -
it is mostly shut off from the outside world by the firewall. It was working
great until I changed the root password !

Regards
Chris Smith

Changed root password

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:15:07

Hi!,

Quote:> I assume I have returned to multiuser mode - I restarted the machine taking
> the default options, rather than 'linux -s' for single user. The
> 'recommendation' to switch to single user mode for root password change
> just came from browsing news groups; maybe I picked up the wrong end of the
> stick there; but I assume it shouldn't do any harm.

> My wording was rather confusing about the 'servers'. I meant server
> applications rather than server machines - we are only talking one PC here.
> It is not a NIS setup; the machine is a general purpose gateway/firewall
> and samba server for a bunch of Windoze pc's. I log into it using SSH
> locally - it is mostly shut off from the outside world by the firewall. It
> was working great until I changed the root password !

If you look through the /etc/passwd file or the /etc/shadow file, does the
password seem right to you, it isn't mangled in anyway.  Can you go to the
console and actually log into the system as "root" from the physical console ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

Changed root password

Post by Chris Smit » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 16:54:00

Hi,

Not quite sure what you mean by 'mangled' - but it is encrypted yes.

Anyhow, I can log in as root at the console with the new password, no
problem - and most cron processes that use the root account work ok.

It's just SSH, mySQL and vncserver that have stopped working. Oddly enough,
if I change the password back how it was, they still don't work; so
something has permanently bust. I am mystified....

Regards
Chris Smith

Quote:

> Hi!,

> > I assume I have returned to multiuser mode - I restarted the machine
taking
> > the default options, rather than 'linux -s' for single user. The
> > 'recommendation' to switch to single user mode for root password change
> > just came from browsing news groups; maybe I picked up the wrong end of
the
> > stick there; but I assume it shouldn't do any harm.

> > My wording was rather confusing about the 'servers'. I meant server
> > applications rather than server machines - we are only talking one PC
here.
> > It is not a NIS setup; the machine is a general purpose gateway/firewall
> > and samba server for a bunch of Windoze pc's. I log into it using SSH
> > locally - it is mostly shut off from the outside world by the firewall.
It
> > was working great until I changed the root password !

> If you look through the /etc/passwd file or the /etc/shadow file, does the
> password seem right to you, it isn't mangled in anyway.  Can you go to the
> console and actually log into the system as "root" from the physical
console ?

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> | Melbourne, Australia       |

Changed root password

Post by David Coulso » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:02:44

> It's just SSH, mySQL and vncserver that have stopped working. Oddly
> enough, if I change the password back how it was, they still don't work;
> so something has permanently bust. I am mystified....

Have you changed run levels since rebooting into single user mode - Either
reboot the box or do 'init 3', and see what happens.

The exact runlevel you need depends on your dist, so check /etc/inittab. If
in doubt, just reboot the box.

--
David Coulson                                  http://davidcoulson.net/

Changed root password

Post by David Coulso » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:07:00

> It's just SSH, mySQL and vncserver that have stopped working. Oddly
> enough, if I change the password back how it was, they still don't work;
> so something has permanently bust. I am mystified....

Oops, wasn't keeping up.

Okay, login as root on the box and run

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start

(maybe /etc/init.d/mysql, depending on your dist). Mysql should start up.
Now, if it doesn't work, check /var/log/messages, or any on-screen errors
pertaining to the mysql service.
--
David Coulson                                  http://davidcoulson.net/