Networking Problems: Windows 2000 <--> Mandrake 8

Networking Problems: Windows 2000 <--> Mandrake 8

Post by anubi » Wed, 23 May 2001 20:36:40



I'm having a problem configuring my network.

I have two boxes.   Both boxes have two network cards in them.  One
network card is dedicated for the cable modem access and it hooked to a
linksys router, the other is dedicated for the local network.

One box is running Windows 2000, the other is running mandrake 8.

On my mandrake machine, eth0 is the internet access.   The router assigns
192.168.1.101 to eth0.   I have eth1 set so I can manually assign an ip
number.   If I assign 192.168.100.1, I can't access the internet.  If I
assign 192.168.1.101, all is well, but this doesn't seem right to me.

My samba config is included below.   Who wants to set me straight on
this?

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/05/22 07:37:08

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = ANUBIGROUP
        netbios name = ANUBIS001
        server string = Samba Server %v
        interfaces = eth1
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        printcap name = lpstat
        preferred master = False
        domain master = False
        wins support = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.*.*, localhost
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No
        available = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r      
# using client side printer drivers.
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

[share]
        comment = Public Space
        path = /share
        read only = No

 
 
 

Networking Problems: Windows 2000 <--> Mandrake 8

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 24 May 2001 00:07:14


Hi!,

Quote:> I'm having a problem configuring my network.

> I have two boxes.   Both boxes have two network cards in them.  One
> network card is dedicated for the cable modem access and it hooked to a
> linksys router, the other is dedicated for the local network.

> One box is running Windows 2000, the other is running mandrake 8.

> On my mandrake machine, eth0 is the internet access.   The router assigns
> 192.168.1.101 to eth0.   I have eth1 set so I can manually assign an ip
> number.   If I assign 192.168.100.1, I can't access the internet.  If I
> assign 192.168.1.101, all is well, but this doesn't seem right to me.

You shouldn't be assigning your second NIC to be the same IP address of the
first ethernet card.  To take your example of the 192.168.100.x network
further, the reason why you can't access the internet, is because there is no
direct route available for you, if you used the iptables MASQUERADE setup, you
would then be able to use machines on the 192.168.100.x network without any
problems, because the data would be MASQUERADED as it goes through the system.

Quote:

> My samba config is included below.   Who wants to set me straight on
> this?

SAMBA has no impact on the problem described above, but it would infulence
whether or not the two machines could see one another as a result of their
connection.  The real question to ask, is how are the eth1's of both systems
connected to one another.  Are they connected via a direct cable which should
be a cross-over/uplink cable or are they connected through a hub ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Networking Problems: Windows 2000 <--> Mandrake 8

Post by anubi » Thu, 24 May 2001 07:05:02




> You shouldn't be assigning your second NIC to be the same IP address of
> the first ethernet card.  To take your example of the 192.168.100.x
> network further, the reason why you can't access the internet, is
> because there is no direct route available for you, if you used the
> iptables MASQUERADE setup, you would then be able to use machines on the
> 192.168.100.x network without any problems, because the data would be
> MASQUERADED as it goes through the system.

You're talking above my head now.    :)

Do I need to use iptables MASQUERADE?

Quote:>> My samba config is included below.   Who wants to set me straight on
>> this?

> SAMBA has no impact on the problem described above, but it would
> infulence whether or not the two machines could see one another as a
> result of their connection.  The real question to ask, is how are the
> eth1's of both systems connected to one another.  Are they connected via
> a direct cable which should be a cross-over/uplink cable or are they
> connected through a hub ?

eth1's are connected via a hub.
 
 
 

1. Windows 2000 <-> linux samba <-> VMS

I have set up a linux box running samba that via nfs-mount has access
to a directory on a VAX running VMS v5.5-2.
Windows PC's can connect to the samba share and copy files to and from
VMS.
Everything works fine except that when VMS print or text files are
read in windows they have a wrong format - cr lf missing.
Is it possible to set up the system to convert/filter the files when
reading/copying them from VMS to the PC?

Bendix Riis
B-con

2. RedHat Version 7 , 7 tries and still shit ??

3. <><><> MOUNTING EXTENDED PARTITION <><><>

4. microATX mb choice

5. Wanted: <><><> Unix Specialist <><><>

6. Newbie needs Procmail Help...

7. LILO help <><><><><><>

8. Load from Disk

9. Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

10. >>> MapleV: No Plot Window <<<

11. Networking RH5.2 <<<------------------->>> NT4 How???

12. <Alt>+<key> = <Esc><key> ?