CHAP or PAP authentication

Post by Chiyu Wan » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

After installing RH6.2, it refuses to do either CHAP or PAP
authentication when my linux box dialup to remote access server. Can
anyone please give suggestions to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Chiyu

CHAP or PAP authentication

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>After installing RH6.2, it refuses to do either CHAP or PAP
>authentication when my linux box dialup to remote access server. Can
>anyone please give suggestions to fix this problem?

Make sure you have the appropriate line in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
username * password *
and that you use the
user username
option to pppd

CHAP or PAP authentication

Post by Koos P » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

| >After installing RH6.2, it refuses to do either CHAP or PAP
| >authentication when my linux box dialup to remote access server. Can
| >anyone please give suggestions to fix this problem?
|
| Make sure you have the appropriate line in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
| username * password *
| and that you use the
| user username
| option to pppd

Additionaly, show us the /var/log/messages details on the connection
sessions.

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

CHAP or PAP authentication

Post by Matt » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

You could try running the connection in Windows xx
or NT (uchhhh).. and in the modem options/connect
select enable logging.

Then on it maybe able to assist you in your connection
and what to expect.

I use SuSE 6.4 and kppp its great I connected the
old way years ago (4 years ago) via manual settup
It tought me a lot about unix and linux networking
but now kppp is great I use that now.

Regards

Matt

> Hello,

> After installing RH6.2, it refuses to do either CHAP or PAP
> authentication when my linux box dialup to remote access server. Can
> anyone please give suggestions to fix this problem?

> Thanks,
> Chiyu

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. Big Ben on your SPARCstation

3. one script for pap/chap and manual authentication

4. KDE2 and background apps

5. PAP & CHAP authentication in PPP

6. FoxPro Unix: Doesn't Print

7. Pap/Chap authentication with Suse Linux

8. Question on Programming Courses

9. Problem with authentication - PAP/CHAP

10. Is it possible to make PPP use authentication server vs PAP/CHAP?

11. CHAP and PAP authentication

12. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

13. Request for Help with pap/chap pppd dial-in script