Newbie booting 2 ethernet cards question

Newbie booting 2 ethernet cards question

Post by Brian D Nunamake » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to set up IPMASQ  for my linux box and I am having a problem
getting both ethernet cards to detect. I am using Red Hat 4.1
(Vanderbuilt), with ethernet cards 3com Bomerang (I think 3c590) and a
Kingston NE2000 compliant. My kernel supports both of these cards since
they are both detected individually, but I have had no luck getting both
to detect. Their IO's and IRQ are not in conflict, so there seems to be
no hardware problems.  I've been using the following command line at
LILO boot without success

LILO: Linux ether=0,0,eth1

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian Nunamaker

or

Post by PETER GRITS » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I'm trying to set up IPMASQ  for my linux box and I am having a problem
: getting both ethernet cards to detect.
: [...]
: I've been using the following command line at LILO boot without success
: LILO: Linux ether=0,0,eth1

RTFM!
In this case the Ethernet-HOWTO. Chapter 3.2 (at least in my edition) is
``Using More than one Ethernet Card per Machine'' and tells you ``that at
the moment only one ethercard is auto-probed for by default.  This helps to
avoid possible boot time hangs caused by probing sensitive cards.''

You'll have to type something like (or add it as append-parameter to your
lilo.conf):
LILO: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=15,0x280,eth1

     CU Peter

     Four Letter Extended Acronym (FLEA)
     A recognition of the fact that there are far too many TLAs. See also:
     Three Letter Acronym.
                                                                  RFC 1983

Post by William R. Matti » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,
> I'm trying to set up IPMASQ  for my linux box and I am having a problem
> getting both ethernet cards to detect. I am using Red Hat 4.1
> (Vanderbuilt), with ethernet cards 3com Bomerang (I think 3c590) and a
> Kingston NE2000 compliant. My kernel supports both of these cards since
> they are both detected individually, but I have had no luck getting both
> to detect. Their IO's and IRQ are not in conflict, so there seems to be
> no hardware problems.  I've been using the following command line at
> LILO boot without success

> LILO: Linux ether=0,0,eth1

You will, no doubt, recieve lots of advice on how to pass args via LILO
but
rest assured.. as long as you are using modules for the NIC driver(s) it
will
not work. and modules is Red Hats default.  You can do either of these:

1) compile all the necessary drivers into the kernel ( then LILO can
pass the
        appropriate info.

2) use modules - preferred IMHO - edit /etc/conf.modules such as
        alias eth0 3c905
        alias eth1 ne
        options 3c905 io=0x000, irq=5
        options ne io=0x000, irq=3

note: your values will be quite different most likely

I have never used an ne2000 with a 3c590, but this method worked just
fine using 3c905 and 3c503 and ne2000.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Bill
PS: Use 3com's setup disk to turn off PnP if possible and to determine
what/where the
card is sitting.
--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 256-3219          | and... in high heels.

Newbie booting 2 ethernet cards question

Post by terr_nospam » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

You've got two (2) things to do:

1)  modify conf.modules so it looks something like this:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha1542
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x220,0x240 irq=10,15

2) modify lilo.conf so it looks something like this:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
linear
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd
        append="ether=10,0x220,eth0 ether=15,0x240,eth1"
        read-only

email me if you have more probs...

>Hello everyone,
>I'm trying to set up IPMASQ  for my linux box and I am having a problem
>getting both ethernet cards to detect. I am using Red Hat 4.1
>(Vanderbuilt), with ethernet cards 3com Bomerang (I think 3c590) and a
>Kingston NE2000 compliant. My kernel supports both of these cards since
>they are both detected individually, but I have had no luck getting both
>to detect. Their IO's and IRQ are not in conflict, so there seems to be
>no hardware problems.  I've been using the following command line at
>LILO boot without success

>LILO: Linux ether=0,0,eth1

>Any help would be appreciated.

>Thanks

>Brian Nunamaker

>or

Newbie booting 2 ethernet cards question

Post by Riley William » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi Brian.

 > I'm trying to set up IPMASQ for my linux box and I am having a
 > problem getting both ethernet cards to detect. I am using Red Hat 4.1
 > (Vanderbuilt), with ethernet cards 3com Bomerang (I think 3c590) and
 > a Kingston NE2000 compliant. My kernel supports both of these cards
 > since they are both detected individually, but I have had no luck
 > getting both to detect. Their IO's and IRQ are not in conflict, so
 > there seems to be no hardware problems.

 > LILO: Linux ether=0,0,eth1

According to the Ethernet HowTo, Linux will only autodetect ONE ethernet
card, so you'll need to specify the parameters for both cards on the
command line. You don't state what the parameters are, so the following
uses made up (but common) values...

     Linux ether=3,0x300,eth0 ether=5,0x280,eth1

Basically, whatever you want each port to be known as, specify them on
the command line. The settings specified above are for eth0 on IRQ3 port
0x300 and eth1 on IRQ5 port 0x280...

Alternatively, if you use LILO (as you appear to indicate), they can be
specified in /etc/lilo.conf by adding the following line to the
"General" section at the top of the file (again using the above
parameters)...

    append="ether=3,0x300,eth0 ether=5,0x280,eth1"

Best wishes from Riley.

Post by William R. Matti » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi Brian.

>  > I'm trying to set up IPMASQ for my linux box and I am having a
>  > problem getting both ethernet cards to detect. I am using Red Hat 4.1
>  > (Vanderbuilt), with ethernet cards 3com Bomerang (I think 3c590) and
>  > a Kingston NE2000 compliant. My kernel supports both of these cards
>  > since they are both detected individually, but I have had no luck
>  > getting both to detect. Their IO's and IRQ are not in conflict, so
>  > there seems to be no hardware problems.

>  > LILO: Linux ether=0,0,eth1

> According to the Ethernet HowTo, Linux will only autodetect ONE ethernet
> card, so you'll need to specify the parameters for both cards on the
> command line. You don't state what the parameters are, so the following
> uses made up (but common) values...

>      Linux ether=3,0x300,eth0 ether=5,0x280,eth1

> Basically, whatever you want each port to be known as, specify them on
> the command line. The settings specified above are for eth0 on IRQ3 port
> 0x300 and eth1 on IRQ5 port 0x280...

> Alternatively, if you use LILO (as you appear to indicate), they can be
> specified in /etc/lilo.conf by adding the following line to the
> "General" section at the top of the file (again using the above
> parameters)...

>     append="ether=3,0x300,eth0 ether=5,0x280,eth1"

> Best wishes from Riley.

A search in Dejanews on this topic would have probably turned up at
least 50 answers of which at least 5 would have been correct. This is
without much doubt the most frequently asked and most frequently
missanswered question in this newsgroup... </opinion>

RedHat 4.X does not by default accept lilo args for its ethernet config.
Period. Any attempt to use lilo for this purpose will result in nothing
except anothe post to this newsgroup asking for help. The use of LILO
for passing NIC parameters requires that the NIC support be compiled
*INTO* the kernel. Notice this does not mean as a module.

Red Hat's default config is to use a loadable module for this and LILO
cannot. I repeat CANNOT pass any args to the module. To support multiple
NIC's and modules, edit /etc/conf.modules as follows:

alias eth0 3c503
alias eth1 ne
alias eth2 3c509
options 3c503 io=0x300 irq=5
options ne io=0x280 irq=10
options 3c509 io=320 irq=3

---------------------------
if you are using two cards of the same type?

alias eth0 3c503
alias eth1 3c503
options 3c503 io=0x300,0x280 irq=5,3

--------------------------

from this point on, the kernel should see the cards if their internal
setup is ok (ie: matches io/irq) now just edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth2 and etc and you
should be fine.

Hope this helps

Regards
Bill
--
William R. Mattil.......| Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 256-3219..........| and... in high heels.

1. newbie question -- adding 2nd (identical) ethernet card

I have 2 identical ethernet cards...and have had one of them installed in my
linux pc for awhile and it works fine connecting to my cable ISP.

When i add the 2nd ethernet card and configure it with a static IP address
it activates ok (using neat).  But the original card (eth0) becomes
unavailable.

I have PnP turned off in the bios..
Both cards are referencing the same "module"...
Both PCI slots work..
I"m using the "neat" GUI interface to configure both cards..
Using version 8.0 of RedHat Linux..

what am i missing here?

any help much appreciated.

2. Why is GNOME not called a window manager?

3. Problems with SMC Elite16 Ethernet Card (not a newbie question)

4. Linux doesn't really NEED to compete...

5. newbie fast ethernet card question

6. login thru sshd-2.0.13, could not su to root

7. Newbie question: Psion PCMCIA ethernet V34 card

8. Signal, from whom?

9. what happened to my ethernet card? (newbie question)

10. Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards

11. Newbie question: Ethernet card problem

12. question on ethernet card + how to stop from booting into xwindows on startup

13. Newbie Ethernet-card /ISDN-Card