What's this: Cron <root@hindustan> run-parts /etc/cron.daily

Post by Sushant Gargy » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am baffled. The root user keeps getting the following mail message:

From looking at that directory (/etc/cron.daily) I know that this cron job
is
being executed for the news server (inn). But I'm not able to figure out
which user is executing this cron job. I've logged (su) in as root user,
news,
and other "system" users......after which I did "crontab -l", but I have
been
unable to track the source of this cronfile/user.  Any help would be
appreciated.
I do intend to configure the news server eventually, but as of right now...I
personally
have not messed w/ the inn.....

Regards,
sushant

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am baffled. The root user keeps getting the following mail message:

> From looking at that directory (/etc/cron.daily) I know that this cron job
> is
> being executed for the news server (inn). But I'm not able to figure out
> which user is executing this cron job. I've logged (su) in as root user,

all the jobs executed in the /etc/cron.*/ dirs are run from the system
crontab (not the root crontab), in /etc/crontab  it contains an extra field
from the standard crontab file, which specifies which user to run each job
as.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.1.106ac1 i586  | at public servers
"Note that if I can get you to "su and say" something just by asking,
you have a very serious security problem on your system and you should
look into it."
(By Paul Vixie, vixie-cron 3.0.1 installation notes)