Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by Matthew » Thu, 30 May 2002 13:24:07

I was just wandering how MS Exchange compares to a Linux(Sendmail/Qpoper)
based server?  I was just told by someone that over 90% + of email servers
are based on Exchange and so on.  Made me feel like our Cobalt Raq 4 based
on Sendmail and such was a piece of junk.  We are pretty happy with it and
it runs Mailscanner and Spamassassin as an added bonus.

Don't want to start a flame war but could someone point me at info or links
comparing the two different approaches?

Thanks

Matt

Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by James Bros » Thu, 30 May 2002 14:32:21

That depends on who you ask! For the corporate desktop user, Exchange is
1st with Notes 2nd (Groupware users). What thay don't know is the server
is inside their firewall, while a sendmail server sits in the DMZ (open to
the internet). This sendmail server may feed many Exchange servers on a
Wide Area Network and relays the outgoing as well.

Exchange is a corporate groupware server, not a internet mail server. The
last exchange server I worked on was 5.5. The flat file filled the
partition (> 18 GB) and had to be rebuilt. This utility took almost a week
(unhappy Windowz users).

While I mostly like Qpopper as a POP3 APOP server, the temp files on large
mailboxes can be a problem, and APOP is not PAM aware (password sync).

Microsoft Hotmail uses Qmail on UNIX!! http://www.qmail.org/top.html

With 500 connections open, it rocks!! On a Dual PIII 866MHz with 512 MB
RAM, SCSI, and RedHat 6.2, it was relaying > 150,000 messages per hour.

Qmail supports maildir (http://www.qmail.org/top.html#maildir) and
courier-imap (POP3 and IMAP4 with-or-without SSL) is faster (and secure).

The downside with Qmail is the install. It requires serious system
reconfiguration, and you may need to patch the source code and rebuild.

If the Groupware features are not needed, Sendmail and Qpopper is a better
choice.

--
I don't hate Microsoft, I just love everything else better!

> I was just wandering how MS Exchange compares to a
> Linux(Sendmail/Qpoper) based server?  I was just told by someone that
> over 90% + of email servers are based on Exchange and so on.  Made me
> feel like our Cobalt Raq 4 based on Sendmail and such was a piece of
> junk.  We are pretty happy with it and it runs Mailscanner and
> Spamassassin as an added bonus.

> Don't want to start a flame war but could someone point me at info or
> links comparing the two different approaches?

> Thanks

> Matt

Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Thu, 30 May 2002 18:16:18

> I was just wandering how MS Exchange compares to a Linux(Sendmail/Qpoper)
> based server?  I was just told by someone that over 90% + of email servers

Thats wrong. Its more like 90% sendmail.

Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by Ingmar Koeche » Fri, 31 May 2002 00:23:06

exchange is powerful when combined with Outlook and domain integration.
Single log in, public folders, groupware features, distribution lists, out
of office and so on.

I don't have to talk about the downside like viruses and such.

I think that a good implementation of an imap based email server and a good
imap aware client, including the ability to search a ldap directory, would
solve most offices needs, in a more secure and stable manner.

But Exchange is definitely widely used in corporations and end users
generally like outlook a lot.

Ingmar.

> I was just wandering how MS Exchange compares to a Linux(Sendmail/Qpoper)
> based server?  I was just told by someone that over 90% + of email servers
> are based on Exchange and so on.  Made me feel like our Cobalt Raq 4 based
> on Sendmail and such was a piece of junk.  We are pretty happy with it and
> it runs Mailscanner and Spamassassin as an added bonus.

> Don't want to start a flame war but could someone point me at info or
> links comparing the two different approaches?

> Thanks

> Matt

Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by Bob Hauc » Fri, 31 May 2002 08:09:43

> I was just wandering how MS Exchange compares to a Linux(Sendmail/Qpoper)
> based server?

Exchange is a Groupware server and provides a number of things besides
mail.  It also costs a lot more, uses more resources, and the advanced
features only work with selected client apps. If your need is just email
then Exchange is overkill.

The major competitor to Exchange is not Sendmail but Lotus Notes.

Quote:> I was just told by someone that over 90% + of email servers
> are based on Exchange and so on.

Maybe 90% of small business mail servers, or some such thing.  Exchange
is not widely used as an Internet MTA.

Quote:> Made me feel like our Cobalt Raq 4 based on Sendmail and such was a
> piece of junk.  We are pretty happy with it and it runs Mailscanner
> and Spamassassin as an added bonus.

If it works, and has worked, and you're happy with it, then why is it
suddenly junk because somebody thinks Exchange is more popular?  That
sounds a lot like suit thinking.

If you need a calendar and groupware app, I think you'd be better off
just getting those things, preferably web based so you don't have to
maintain client software.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by Matthew » Fri, 31 May 2002 12:17:18

Can I set up my Cobalt Raq to relay or something for an Exchange server?
What I mean, if they want to run Exchange as there mail server can I set up
my Raq with sendmail and qpoper to forward all there email for them and
somehow redirect all the email for there domain to the Exchange box.  How
would that be done?

Thanks

Matt

Quote:> exchange is powerful when combined with Outlook and domain integration.
> Single log in, public folders, groupware features, distribution lists, out
> of office and so on.

> I don't have to talk about the downside like viruses and such.

> I think that a good implementation of an imap based email server and a
good
> imap aware client, including the ability to search a ldap directory, would
> solve most offices needs, in a more secure and stable manner.

> But Exchange is definitely widely used in corporations and end users
> generally like outlook a lot.

Linux Based vs. MS Exchange

Post by Bob Hauc » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 01:10:21

On Wed, 29 May 2002 11:23:06 -0400, Ingmar Koecher

> exchange is powerful when combined with Outlook and domain integration.
> Single log in, public folders, groupware features, distribution lists, out
> of office and so on.

All of which only works if you are an MS-only shop, pretty much.

Quote:> I don't have to talk about the downside like viruses and such.

I think you do.  Outlook seems to be the premier virus habitat these
days.  That is a consideration.

Quote:> But Exchange is definitely widely used in corporations and end users
> generally like outlook a lot.

Until they get a virus...

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

1. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server

I have recently learned that my company has been looking at MS-Exchange
as our company email server.  Since I am familiar with Linux I have been
asking questions about this, namely why pay for MS-Exchange when Linux
is free.  The answer to that is that our IT contractor only knows
MS-Exchange or Groupwise.

Can anyone help me with some info / comparisons between Linux as a mail
server and MS-Exchange.

The timing is critical because I have to have a proposal ready for
Monday, our board of directors meet on Tuesday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Trummer

2. How to Run Remote X Applications

3. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

4. ipautofw for identd possible?

5. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

6. Shared library

7. MS Exchange server vs Intranet: What's the difference?

8. Slackware compiling problems, please help

9. Sendmail vs. MS-Exchange

10. T-1 Management: Router Based vs. Linux Box Gateway Based

11. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

12. MS Exchange and Linux

13. Linux <-> MS-Exchange Coexistence