Linux - Windows Network

Linux - Windows Network

Post by Peter Limba » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Hi all,

I am planning a network for our company and have become interested in Linux.

Here's what we would like to do:

Install a Linux-based server to support WIN98/95/NT based applications with
approximately 15 clients

Install a Linux-based internet-firewall and email-server via ISDN

Recycle old 486PC's to be used as network hubs and print servers, with
several NIC's and up to 4 LPT ports

Connect the Linux-network to a WIN-NT server

Backup all servers and designated clients via the Linux-server

The recycled PC's may have a Y2K critical bios and I'm curious if it is
possible to synchronize their clocks with the main server.

Where can I find information, hopefully step by step for dummie's to set up
such a network

 
 
 

Linux - Windows Network

Post by Mark Robert » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> Hi all,

> I am planning a network for our company and have become interested in Linux.

> Here's what we would like to do:

> Install a Linux-based server to support WIN98/95/NT based applications with
> approximately 15 clients

No problem - the critical application is SAMBA, which supports
workgroups and shared drives, printers etc - Makes your Linux box look
like an NT server [but more reliable :-)].
I think [but don't know much about] you should look at the "mars-nwe"
package which does similar things on a Netware network. Both these
packages come in standard RedHat 5.2 release and most other Linux
releases [SuSE is popular in Germany I understand], but you should try
and get hold of the latest release of SAMBA separately. Version 2.0
[just released] has much improved NT server emulation and features.

Quote:

> Install a Linux-based internet-firewall

Again not a problem - there are various HOWTO documents on how to setup
a firewall.

Quote:> and email-server via ISDN

Most releases of Linux include POP3 and  IMAP email server daemons,
which combined with sendmail allows you to do almost anything you want
with mail. Sendmail can be an extremely complex program to setup though.

Quote:> Recycle old 486PC's to be used as network hubs and print servers, with
> several NIC's and up to 4 LPT ports

No problem.

Quote:> Connect the Linux-network to a WIN-NT server

Yes, you can do this, see SAMBA.

Quote:

> Backup all servers and designated clients via the Linux-server

> The recycled PC's may have a Y2K critical bios and I'm curious if it is
> possible to synchronize their clocks with the main server.

There is an application which allows synchronisation of all clocks on
your network to NavStar GPS time (atomically accurate!). Can't remember
where it is though :-(.

Quote:> Where can I find information, hopefully step by step for dummie's to set up
> such a network

For detailed information on each aspect, the most useful documents are
HOWTO documents - there is one on almost every aspect of Linux. HOWTO
documents are stored by the Linux Documentation Project on various
mirror sites round the world  - German sites are

     http://pc1.chemie.uni-bielefeld.de/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Bielefeld
     http://tech.appl-opt.physik.uni-essen.de/linux/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Essen
     http://www.suse.de/doku/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Frth
     http://www.mordor.ask.fh-furtwangen.de/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Furtwangen
     http://www.go.dlr.de/linux/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: G?ttingen
     http://mailer.wiwi.uni-marburg.de/linux/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Marburg
     http://fd1.hdm-stuttgart.de/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Stuttgart
     http://www.asta.va.fh-ulm.de/LDP/
     updated: DAILY location: Ulm

Basic information on how to setup a Linux gateway box is at
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/maroberts/linux/guide/index.html
[this is still incomplete]

Regards

Mark Roberts

 
 
 

Linux - Windows Network

Post by Peter Limba » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Hi Mark,

thanks for your advice.  For test purposes I have set up a small network
consisting of a 486 DX4 with a 540 MB Disk acting as a server.  The machine
has Slackware 3.0 on it with the 3.5 Network package.
The NIC is an NE2000 clone.

On the other end I have my son's Win98 PC with a 3COM NIC.

The Samba package is installed, but the Network behaves funny.

On booting up I can ping in both directions with proper communication.  The
WIN98 PC however doesn't see the Linux machine in the network.  On the Linux
machine I can run the smbclient -L only once, as soon as I try to run it
once more the Linux machine refuses to communicate with the WIN98 machine.
The pings dont work also. Am I missing something important?

regards

Peter


>> Hi all,

>> I am planning a network for our company and have become interested in
Linux. ....

>Yes, you can do this, see SAMBA.

>Regards

>Mark Roberts

 
 
 

Linux - Windows Network

Post by David Kirkpatric » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Have you:
 setup /etc/smb.conf i.e. top config section and disk specific
info below,
 resolved which encryption you will set in /etc/smb.conf
 setup passwords with smbpasswd.
Can you ping by address AND >hostname<?  What is ipconfig /all
and
nbtstat -N  xx.xx.xx.xx and netstat -r?
There is a common FAQ about loosing routes which may be
happening.
Do a netstat -r before and after your problem on each machine to
see
if its this problem.
Whats in hosts on both machines /etc/hosts & c:\windows\hosts.
Same
for networks. You'll probaby have 192.168.1 in networks.


> Hi Mark,

> thanks for your advice.  For test purposes I have set up a small network
> consisting of a 486 DX4 with a 540 MB Disk acting as a server.  The machine
> has Slackware 3.0 on it with the 3.5 Network package.
> The NIC is an NE2000 clone.

> On the other end I have my son's Win98 PC with a 3COM NIC.

> The Samba package is installed, but the Network behaves funny.

> On booting up I can ping in both directions with proper communication.  The
> WIN98 PC however doesn't see the Linux machine in the network.  On the Linux
> machine I can run the smbclient -L only once, as soon as I try to run it
> once more the Linux machine refuses to communicate with the WIN98 machine.
> The pings dont work also. Am I missing something important?

> regards

> Peter


> >> Hi all,

> >> I am planning a network for our company and have become interested in
> Linux. ....

> >Yes, you can do this, see SAMBA.

> >Regards

> >Mark Roberts

--



 
 
 

Linux - Windows Network

Post by David Kirkpatric » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Routes can be lost if routed/gated are running.  Kill -4 xxxx.


> Have you:
>  setup /etc/smb.conf i.e. top config section and disk specific
> info below,
>  resolved which encryption you will set in /etc/smb.conf
>  setup passwords with smbpasswd.
> Can you ping by address AND >hostname<?  What is ipconfig /all
> and
> nbtstat -N  xx.xx.xx.xx and netstat -r?
> There is a common FAQ about loosing routes which may be
> happening.
> Do a netstat -r before and after your problem on each machine to
> see
> if its this problem.
> Whats in hosts on both machines /etc/hosts & c:\windows\hosts.
> Same
> for networks. You'll probaby have 192.168.1 in networks.


> > Hi Mark,

> > thanks for your advice.  For test purposes I have set up a small network
> > consisting of a 486 DX4 with a 540 MB Disk acting as a server.  The machine
> > has Slackware 3.0 on it with the 3.5 Network package.
> > The NIC is an NE2000 clone.

> > On the other end I have my son's Win98 PC with a 3COM NIC.

> > The Samba package is installed, but the Network behaves funny.

> > On booting up I can ping in both directions with proper communication.  The
> > WIN98 PC however doesn't see the Linux machine in the network.  On the Linux
> > machine I can run the smbclient -L only once, as soon as I try to run it
> > once more the Linux machine refuses to communicate with the WIN98 machine.
> > The pings dont work also. Am I missing something important?

> > regards

> > Peter


> > >> Hi all,

> > >> I am planning a network for our company and have become interested in
> > Linux. ....

> > >Yes, you can do this, see SAMBA.

> > >Regards

> > >Mark Roberts

> --




--



 
 
 

1. Newbie Linux/Windows networking questions

Hello all.  Just got the Linux-Mandrake distribution late last week and got
it all setup...somewhat painlessly.  Got rid of that lucent modem and used
another jumperless modem i had laying round that linux could see (V1433VQH-U
for those of you interested).  Got it working as my gateway to the web for
my two Win98 machines and would like to set it up as a file server also.  Is
this possible to do?  I have another old system I have NT set up on, but
would like to get rid of it and use it for something else if possible
(portable gaming system for lan parties).

Any ideas how I can get the Linux server set up as a file server and make it
VISIBLE on my Win 98 machines from network neighborhood? (i realize that's
probably a far-fetched dream)

2. Where's the firewalls FAQ?

3. Linux / Windows Networking

4. kppp only works for root, not for other users (2.2.3 kernel)

5. Firewalling existing Linux/Windows network

6. Printing to an AppleTalk printer

7. Linux-Windows Network, HOW???

8. Voicemail prog

9. Linux - Windows network

10. Yet another linux/windows networking problem

11. Linux-Windows network setup

12. Linux/Windows Networking Problem - DNS

13. Linux/Windows Networking and Access Sharing