TCP/IP weirdness

Post by Dave Frand » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I've run into a strange (for me) problem with Linux (1.0.9) .. When I
restart the machine, I get no network response from the machine (ping,
telnet or ftp) Any connection attempt just sits there for at least 5 minutes
(that's as long as I've ever waited). To get everything to work ok, I have
to login on the console, and ping something from there..After doing this,
everything works fine....Is this a "feature" of Linux, or am I configured
wrong? I've seen this on two different machines, using the Slackware SETUP
and NETCONFIG .. I've not fiddled with the configuration as generated by
the NETCONFIG. This is kind of a bother, as we're using the first machine
as an anonymous ftp server....Any ideas on where to look for a fix????

Thanks in advance,
Dave Frandin
Network Support
Horizons Technology Inc.

TCP/IP weirdness

Post by Tony Ga » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

[...]

This is a problem with the kernel. Upgrade to the latest 1.2 kernel (currently
1.2.5). WHEN UPGRADING FROM 1.0.x and pre 1.1.7x (I think) YOU *MUST* INSTALL
BDFLUSH AS A REPLACEMENT FOR UPDATE (available in the same directory as the
1.2.x kernel - usually), OTHERWISE YOU RISK TRASHING YOUR HARD DISK.

--

Tony Gale         |+MIME, all MIME+|   Stop whinging and start Wine'ing

                  | All opinions expressed are my own |

1. DOS / Linux TCP/IP Weirdness

HI!

I am having a weird problem.

My dos box is connected to my Linux box thru thinnet.
I am using 3c503 cards on both.
and FTP PCTCP on the dos box.
for SOME reason, when SLIP in not up (dip)
the dos box takes forever to get a login prompt in telnet, then it's ok
until I get out and telnet again.
if SLIP is up, it is instantaneous!
what's going on here???
my linux box is xxx.xxx.162.153
my dos box id xxx.xxx.162.154
sl0 ---- xxx.xxx.162.153
eth0 ---xxx.xxx.162.153
gw xxx.xxx.162.1
Hmmmmmmmmmm.........
can I set the eth0 interface to the same ip addr as the sl0 ? or no.
Thanks!

Lee.

2. NAMED

3. Solaris 2.5 TCP/IP Weirdness

4. Samba and CUPS

5. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

6. Choosing a printer

7. Samba and user accounts

8. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

9. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP