Web based user creation

Post by Jaso » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am going to try and start a web site like Angelfire where I will give away
free web space.  I want to have a form where they enter their username and
password.  How could I get Linux-Mandrake 6.0 to automatically add the user
with that username and 10MB or something like that assigned to it plus the
password they chose?  Is there a secure way to do this?  If no one knows
how(I wouldn't be too suprised)  could you at least tell me who to ask??

Web based user creation

Post by Jo » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Setup a CGI (Perl is easy) that does all the necessary work like
useradd, quota config, etc.  You'll also want it to add the user to
ftp if you want them to be able to ftp their pages up to your server.
Add them to telnet if you want that, too.  If you plan to provide
email as well, the CGI will have to do all of that config stuff, too.
By the way, this CGI will need to run as superuser so your http server
will need to be setup appropriately.

The only "secure" way to do this is setup the form on a secure http
server (https).  On a regular http server, the username and password
will be sent in clear text but the rest of the setup is secure (the
stuff done by the CGI) or at least as secure as the server itself is.

Good luck -
Jon

Quote:>I am going to try and start a web site like Angelfire where I will give away

Post by Bear Gile » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am going to try and start a web site like Angelfire where I will give away
> free web space.  I want to have a form where they enter their username and
> password.  How could I get Linux-Mandrake 6.0 to automatically add the user
> with that username and 10MB or something like that assigned to it plus the
> password they chose?

DO NOT GIVE AWAY SHELL ACCOUNTS!  Besides the fact that it's an
invitation for
someone to crack your system (getting root access is usually *much*
easier with
a local account), it's an invitation for people who are attacked by your
anonymous friends to sue *you* for facilitating their attacks.

The "accounts" you mention are really nothing more than entries in a
database
and a number of scripts which make it appear that the user has some web
space.
The files may exist as files, or they may be BLOBs in a database.  They
are
always owned by the web server or a CGI-BIN file.

The details of how this is done can, and do, fill books.  If you really
want to
do this, start learning Apache, Perl, MySQL and Postgresql, Python, and
Apache
modules.

--
Bear Giles

1. Web based user creation

I am going to try and start a web site like Angelfire where I will give away
free web space.  I want to have a form where they enter their username and
password.  How could I get Linux-Mandrake 6.0 to automatically add the user
with that username and 10MB or something like that assigned to it plus the
password they chose?  Is there a secure way to do this?  If no one knows
how(I wouldn't be too suprised)  could you at least tell me who to ask??

2. ftp from a C program

3. Looking for Lyra download software

4. fdisk fails on 0xF partitions

5. Samba: Win95 + Win98

6. Need web based web site creation tool

7. User Authentication on a UNIX- or NT-based Web Server via Novell NDS

8. Using AIX user accounts for web based authentication

9. Web Based Radius users File

10. Web Based User Account Program