Red Hat linux and MS Proxy Server

Post by ronwo » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I know that several posts have tried to address the issue of
connecting a linux (redhat in this case) client through Microsoft
Proxy server. However, none of the previous posts gets into alot of
detail.

How do you set up the Socks service on MS Proxy to allow connections
that cannot be handled by the Web Proxy service? Do you simply make a
single rule allowing a client at 10.10.10.1/24 for example out to Any
external address with port greater/equal to 0? (assuming you want to
give unlimited access to that one machine.)

Will static packet filtering affect the Socks proxy, or is that taken
care of with dynamic filters?

How do you let Linux clients use the Web proxy service without giving
the Everyone group permissions? Without that group added, I get a
Netscape box asking for a user name and password- What user name are
they looking for? An NT account?

What changes need to be made on the client side, if any? Is there a
way to make all requests for internet resources go through the socks
server? Or do all applications have to be proxy aware? And if so, how
are they configured? (for instance, the X-Chat irc client has no proxy
setup- can I use the app?) Same goes for any non ftp/http/ssl app.

How about DNS queries? On an WinNT client, that (and the above
examples) are all handled by the Winsock service. The MS Proxy help
files make a very brief reference to a DNS proxy... but that's about
it.

I'm sorry about all the questions, but I figure it's better to be
clear on what I'm looking for. And judging by all the previous posts I
read through, if anyone can answer these questions in long format with
configuration examples, it will benefit more than just me. One of the
best resources I've found for MS Proxy (proxyfaq.networkgods.com)
doesn't have too much to say on this issue in detail. If anyone can
spell out (I'm new to linux) what to do, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for reading through all this.

ronwolf

1. Red Hat linux and MS Proxy Server

[...]

2. How to get Plusmail?

3. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

4. sed and variable substitution

5. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

6. Rich Bell...Computer Expert

7. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

8. Redhat boot/login sequence

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Red Hat 5.2 + MS Proxy

11. Proxy Server for Linux Red Hat/ Slackware

12. Proxy Server for Linux Red Hat

13. socks proxy client on linux and ms proxy server