Can one get wrt54g router to work as nameserver for local network?I

Can one get wrt54g router to work as nameserver for local network?I

Post by carolu » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 07:02:09

I can get the association between IP address and hostname by looking at
the DHCP client table in the Linksys wrt54g router by means of its
configuration interface, but I can't get it to respond as nameserver to
the hostname using ping, nslookup, or dig, even if I add the router IP
to resolv.conf.   External names (not in the local network) get resolved
correctly.

Currently I'm looking in the client table to get the current (variable)
IP, and then using that to access another host on the local network.  Is
there some better way, without setting up static addresses on the local
network?

1. redhat 9 - one machine no longer gets network access beyond router

Hi,

I have a small home network with 2 machines (desktop and laptop, both
with RedHat 9) and a dlink router/hub/access point. Both machines
access the internet throught ethernet connections to the router. Both
had been working fine with no problems.

Then I put a pcmcia modem on the laptop so I could use it to access
the internet on the road. I disconnected the laptop from the ethernet
and set up KPPP to use the modem to acces the internet. Once I got
this set up, I took out the modem and reattached the laptop to the
ethernet network.

Now, however, the laptop will not access the internet or anything
beyond the router. The laptop can ping the router, and it can ping the
desktop,but when I try to ping a machine on the internet beyond the
router, I get:

$ ping yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (66.218.71.198) 56(84) bytes of data.

--yahoo.com ping statistics---
20 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss

(so the router [which is also the dns server] successfully resolves
the IP address of the remote machine and sends that to the laptop but
the laptop cannot send pings [or receive pings?] to/from the remote
machine)

I can still ping machines on the internet from the desktop machine
with no problem.

So I presume what happened was that setting up kppp changed some
configuration files that had been working so now they don't. I haven't
been able to figure out what, though.

Both machines have similar /sbin/route outputs:

desktop$ /sbin/route
Kernel IP routing table
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
139.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default router 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
desktop$

laptop$ /sbin/route
Kernel IP routing table
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
139.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
default router 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
laptop$

...and idential resolv.conf files:

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search localhost.localdomain
nameserver 192.168.0.1
$

Does anybody know what went wrong and how to fix it?

2. How to put HTTP/1.1 401 Access Denied to responce in CGI script

3. nameserver does not work local

4. gcc does not link libm

5. subdomains/one IP/local network basic networking question

6. Automatic software debugging on Unix with PARASOFT tools.

7. WRT54G router and X (also Netgear)

8. What 56K really works?

9. upgrade Netgear MR814 -> WGR614 or WRT54G routers: no internet

10. Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

11. apache, day one, hour one, minute one, local write permission !?!?!?!?

12. wireless connection between a Toshiba Portege 4010 and a Linksys WRT54G not working

13. Router/gateway for small (16node) local network?