Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by Michael Pow » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by axiou » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I believe in SP 6 (maybe even sp5) and know that win2k SMB is incompatible
with Samba because M$ intentionally changed it.  I guess M$ felt its
monopoly was being threatened by Samba.
Quote:> I had Samba 2.0.6 working fine with my Win 95 box.  I upgraded that to
> NT Workstation and that worked fine, too.  Then I "upgraded" NT with
> SP 6a.  Now, I can't connect to my shares on the linux box.  I get an
> error message "Microsoft Windows Network: the account is not
> authorized to login from this station."

> Anyone with some experience with NT that can tell me where this comes
> from?  I'm a complete novice with NT.

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by Michael Pow » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by Josep » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Is your Sambaserver using encrypted passwords?
nt sp3 onwards sends encrypted passwords.

If you prefer altering nt registry settiings, somewhere in the samba howto
it mentions how to disable encrypted passwords on nt,
Or  you can enable encryption on the samba side.

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by Michael Pow » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by Adam » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I believe in SP 6 (maybe even sp5) and know that win2k SMB is incompatible
> with Samba because M$ intentionally changed it.  I guess M$ felt its
> monopoly was being threatened by Samba.

Duh! I hope you're just trolling....

To get NT with SP3+ and 2000 working with samba you need to enable the
password encryption stuff. All the doco's come with samba;

/usr/doc/samba-2.0.5a/docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION.txt
/usr/doc/samba-2.0.5a/docs/textdocs/WinNT.txt

It works.

Adam

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by rc_coll.. » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I believe in SP 6 (maybe even sp5) and know that win2k SMB is
>incompatible
> with Samba because M$ intentionally changed it. I guess M$ felt its
> monopoly was being threatened by Samba.

I have had Samba working fine with NT 4 sp4 and sp6a (skipped 5:bad).

Perhaps, it is an encrypted passwords issue?

Do you have the line | encrypt passwords = yes | in smb.conf?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by Thomas Lepkowsk » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Adam,

You have an authentiaction problem with Samba. Service Pack 4+ changes your
authentication from plain text to encrypted. To put things back to clear
text authentication you must go into the NT registry to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet /Services\rdr\parameters\
and Add EnablePlainTextPassword, dword:00000001
This is how:
In Regedit, you want to find the path listed in the tree on the left.  Right
click in the right window and you should see a New > DWORD value option.
EnablePlainTextPassword would be the name of the value and 1 would be the
data.

Hope this helps.

Samba and NT 4 Workstation

Post by John May » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Wrong I currently have samba 2.06 running with a 5 node network with win2k
all you have to do is tell sam,ba to encript the passwords...

Quote:> I believe in SP 6 (maybe even sp5) and know that win2k SMB is incompatible
> with Samba because M$ intentionally changed it.  I guess M$ felt its
> monopoly was being threatened by Samba.

> > I had Samba 2.0.6 working fine with my Win 95 box.  I upgraded that to
> > NT Workstation and that worked fine, too.  Then I "upgraded" NT with
> > SP 6a.  Now, I can't connect to my shares on the linux box.  I get an
> > error message "Microsoft Windows Network: the account is not
> > authorized to login from this station."

> > Anyone with some experience with NT that can tell me where this comes
> > from?  I'm a complete novice with NT.

1. Samba als NT-Dom?nenserver für NT 4.0 Workstations

Hallo an alle!

Ich hab ein Problem mit Samba (aus SuSe-Linux 6.1) als NT-Dom?nenserver fr
NT 4.0 (Service-Pack 4) Workstations.
Ich hab alles probiert, was in den Dokumentationen nachzulesen war, hab mir
verschiedenes aus dem Internet geholt; alles umsonst. Es funktioniert das
mit dem "Encrypt Password" nicht (auch nicht mit dem Regestry-Eintrag), aber
auch ohne dem kann ich mich nicht an der Dom?ne anmelden.
Wer kann mir eine A bis Z Anleitung geben, oder empfehlen?

Gru?
Christian

2. Which wrong directive(s)?

3. Can Samba let my Linux machine act as a workstation/client in NT LAN?

4. Need help with MINICOM

5. how to make a SAMBA-Domain visible on WIN/NT Workstations

6. Sum of du -sk

7. Using Samba and NT Workstation

8. automated telnet sessions?

9. SAMBA cannot connect with WIN NT 4.0 WORKSTATION

10. Samba and NT Workstation

11. Accessing RH4.2 Samba from NT workstation

12. Need samba ?? -> NT server + Linux workstation

13. configure samba-1.9.18p4 as a file server for NT/SP3 workstation ?