Using a laptop on 2 different networks

Post by Jeremy Frumki » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

OK, here's the problem:

I'm running RH 6.2 on a Dell Inspiron 7000. I am connecting fine from
work on a network where I have a static IP address. I just got
cable-internet access at home, and have a 2nd linux box hooked up as a
router. I would like to be able to have my laptop run on my home network
(once again having a static IP address). I need to know how to tell the
laptop which network to use during the boot process.

I've seen the NETENV 0.81 script, but it is set to work with an old
version of Debian (I don't think the script's been updated for a year or
two). What do I need to be able to easily set up my laptop to connect
from both home and work?

Many Thanks.

-- Jeremy

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:57:40

>OK, here's the problem:

>I'm running RH 6.2 on a Dell Inspiron 7000. I am connecting fine from
>work on a network where I have a static IP address. I just got
>cable-internet access at home, and have a 2nd linux box hooked up as a
>router. I would like to be able to have my laptop run on my home network
>(once again having a static IP address). I need to know how to tell the
>laptop which network to use during the boot process.

What I do is simply set up my network at home with the same subnet
we use at work.  Then I can use the same IP for my laptop at either.

I just have to change the default route, because if I gave main box the
same IP as the default router at work, there might be routing confusion
when I dial into work from the main box and its remote ppp IP and nic IP
were the same.  In other words I don't think the following would work
(Cisco router also leads to a WAN):

lan-IP1(eth0)-[router]-IP1(proxyarp)-ppp-IP2-[Linux]-IP1(eth0)-homelan

But without the ppp connection to the office these would work:

[router]-IP1-lan-IP2-[laptop]
internet-[Linux]-IP1-homelan-IP2-[laptop]

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>I'm running RH 6.2 on a Dell Inspiron 7000. I am connecting fine from
>work on a network where I have a static IP address. I just got
>cable-internet access at home, and have a 2nd linux box hooked up as a
>router. I would like to be able to have my laptop run on my home network
>(once again having a static IP address). I need to know how to tell the
>laptop which network to use during the boot process.

You want PCMCIA schemes.  These are in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts in most
cases, and discussed rather well in the PCMCIA-HOWTO, which is in
/usr/doc/packages/pcmcia/PCMCIA-HOWTO .  There's a way to choose the
PCMCIA scheme at boot time:  in lilo.conf, put in
'append="SCHEME=place1" '.  You can easily switch schemes at any time
(once you've set them up.  Assume you have 2 schemes, "place1" and
"place2") with "cardctl scheme place1" or "cardctl scheme place2".
HTH!

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

1. Using a Laptop in different network environments and with different hardware configs

I'm thinking of getting rid of my home desktop and office desktop and
replacing them with one high-powered laptop.

I've just read over the Laptop-HOWTO at the LDP, and in there it mentions
various tools such as NetEnv, Divine and Mobile IP that can be used to setup
different "profiles" - e.g. Modem and dialup for on the road, cable or dsl or
wireless for home, ethernet for office, and there is also mention of
different hardware profiles (in case say I want to use a full size keyboard,
mouse and CRT at home and in the office).

However, the Laptop-HOWTO was last updated in 2000. What is the state of play
with modern distros (I'd prefer an RPM-based one) such as Red Hat 7.2 (or 7.3
beta) or Mandrake 8.2? Do any of them make this a little more "seamless"?
Could someone who has experience of this share their thoughts? It would be
very cool to just have the one machine that I took everywhere with me, but
not if it is going to be a right royal pain in the arse to get it to work
properly.

Also, how do the modern distros cope with pluggable drives - i.e. I'm assuming
that a reboot is needed if I swap a CD-RW drive with a DVD or a second hard
drive or a second battery (but maybe it isn't), but on reboot is the change
generally automagically recognised?

TIA, Darren

        Trying is the first step before failure (Homer Simpson)

2. C++ under AIX?

3. Q:Using a laptop on two+ different networks

4. GoAhead WebServer With Red Hat 6.1

5. How to handle different laptop networking cofigs easily?

6. Unstable system - Where do I start looking?

7. Network hw_addr different on laptop vs. desktop

8. DIFFERENT SUBNET MASKS IN A SINGLE NETWORK SEGMENT

9. Using different IP Names for different Unix apps.

10. Using different network profiles

11. diff -r return different results on different runs using DMA

12. How to connect three different network using redhat linux 9 - clients are window 2000

13. Networking different OS and using a central data repository