have win+linux, linux not available anymore =(

have win+linux, linux not available anymore =(

Post by matti » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:37:29

cant choose linux at bootup anymore. how do I get it back?

my comp. crashed some time ago, and now windows works ok, but I cant
access the linux partition, nore can I select linux (dont even get the
chance) at bootup.

any ideas?

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:12:00

> cant choose linux at bootup anymore. how do I get it back?

Use your boot disk. If no boot disk, use your install CD, and try to use
it to create a boot disk or reinstall Grub.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Post by mattias » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:28:54

> > cant choose linux at bootup anymore. how do I get it back?

> Use your boot disk. If no boot disk, use your install CD, and try to use
> it to create a boot disk or reinstall Grub.

so if I choose to reinstall some other type of Linux on that partition,
could that be done imediately? need I delete the fiels on the Linux
partition, or use eg. Partition Magic or such?

thanks
mattias

Quote:> --

Post by mjt » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 05:33:19

> cant choose linux at bootup anymore. how do I get it back?

> my comp. crashed some time ago, and now windows works ok, but I cant
> access the linux partition, nore can I select linux (dont even get the
> chance) at bootup.

... use the distro's install CD and 'boot installed system'. then
use the available utilities to recover the boot entry/loader.

1. Win 95 + Linux + LILO doesn't work anymore :(

Hello,

I have recently replaced a 220MB /dev/hdb IDE disk housing WIN95 with
a 1280MB /dev/hdb IDE disk housing WIN95.  I used to use LILO to
boot either Linux or WIN95; however now selecting the WIN95 partition
via LILO causes the system to hang.  I *am* using Western Digital
OnTrack Disk Manager (I believe; i.e. I used it to load DOS/Win3.1
and then installed WIN95 over this. Can't tell if Win95 uses it's
own manager or still uses the OnTrack thingy).  Anyway, Linux fdisk
doesn't recognize the partition type on /dev/hdb; it says UNKNOWN,
whereas with the old 220MB it says FAT16.  Does anyone know if using
a >1024 WIN95 disk can cause fdisk/Linux in general to not recognize
it as a FAT16?  Do I need the linear option?  I don't really care about
the long filename support; just want to be able to fire up WIN95 from
LILO.

Thanks for the help in advance and I'll post the solution if I find
a successful one.....

ken

2. Q: how to request delivery notification with StarOffice/5.1?

3. Oh no! Linux won't boot anymore!

4. ifmail

5. Lilo with RH 7.0 Won't Enter Linux Automatically Anymore

6. PPP in rh5.1

7. HELP Linux/Win98 dual - Win cannot boot anymore

8. I have a trouble with my ISP

9. Linux won't boot anymore

10. Upgraded to 1.1.54 and Linux won't boot anymore !

11. HELP! Linux won't boot anymore :(

12. Do not post/crosspost to alt.os linux anymore

13. StarOffice NOT FREE FOR LINUX anymore!!!