mount -t msdos... fails

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Bob » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:15:20



When attempting to install Debian, I used "mount -r -t msdos /dev/hdb5 /mnt"
to access the entire E: drive on my 386 computer. As a newbie, I was impressed
at the power of this simple command.

But now I am using Lineo Embedix SE on the same computer, and the command does
not work. "Mounting /dev/hdb5 on /mnt failed: No such device" is the error
message. Same problem with the floppy drive. I was able to format a floppy
using "mkfs.minix /dev/fd0" (There is no fdformat command), then "mount
/dev/fd0 /mnt" and write a file to it, but cannot access a msdos floppy using
the -t msdos method. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

-----------

Remove the "not" for the actual return address.

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Martin Coope » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:20:34



> When attempting to install Debian, I used "mount -r -t msdos /dev/hdb5 /mnt"
> to access the entire E: drive on my 386 computer. As a newbie, I was impressed
> at the power of this simple command.

> But now I am using Lineo Embedix SE on the same computer, and the command does
> not work. "Mounting /dev/hdb5 on /mnt failed: No such device" is the error
> message. Same problem with the floppy drive. I was able to format a floppy
> using "mkfs.minix /dev/fd0" (There is no fdformat command), then "mount
> /dev/fd0 /mnt" and write a file to it, but cannot access a msdos floppy using
> the -t msdos method. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

> -----------

> Remove the "not" for the actual return address.

Hi,
        it depemds on how the kernel has beenm built.  I have not used this
distro, but assuming they have compiled everything as modules, you may
need to load the appropriate modules before this will work.  First, su to
root, then run the command :-

        modprobe msdos

If this command works, you should then beable to access your MS-DOS
filesystems as before.  Next you will want to set things up so that this
module loads automatically at bootup.  This can usually be done by adding
the file to your rc.local that will be somewhere under /etc.  Sorry I
can't be more specific, but I have not used that distribution.  If the
modprobe command above returns an error, then you will need to re-compile
the kernel to get it working.

        Martin

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Michael Baeseck » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:41:11


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


> When attempting to install Debian, I used "mount -r -t msdos /dev/hdb5
> /mnt" to access the entire E: drive on my 386 computer. As a newbie, I was
> impressed at the power of this simple command.

> But now I am using Lineo Embedix SE on the same computer, and the command
> does not work. "Mounting /dev/hdb5 on /mnt failed: No such device" is the
> error message. Same problem with the floppy drive. I was able to format a
> floppy using "mkfs.minix /dev/fd0" (There is no fdformat command), then
> "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt" and write a file to it, but cannot access a msdos
> floppy using the -t msdos method. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

> -----------

> Remove the "not" for the actual return address.

What happens when you run fdisk (as root) and print the partition table of
/dev/hdb ?

Michael
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE+HXv92oR3Ec16V1QRAqW5AJ9rqo325iJ3YQ7DU3PjAUeZYzfK6QCeP/Yu
ujVmIAV10Zh+dPLmK5MdbIM=
=C7HY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Chief » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 05:17:52


08 Jan 2003 22:15 UTC, Bob M typed:

Quote:> But now I am using Lineo Embedix SE on the same computer, and the command does
> not work. "Mounting /dev/hdb5 on /mnt failed: No such device" is the error
> message. Same problem with the floppy drive. I was able to format a floppy
> using "mkfs.minix /dev/fd0" (There is no fdformat command), then "mount
> /dev/fd0 /mnt" and write a file to it, but cannot access a msdos floppy using
> the -t msdos method. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I'm not familiar with SE, but fwiw the SDK kernel (2.2.13) does not have
msdos support compiled into the kernel (just ISO9660, minix, proc and
devPTS).

If mkfs.minix have been let loose on a floppy, then -t msdos wouldn't
work, even if msdos support has been compiled in.

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Bob » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:59:30




Quote:

>Hi,
>    it depemds on how the kernel has beenm built.  I have not used this
>distro, but assuming they have compiled everything as modules, you may
>need to load the appropriate modules before this will work.  First, su to
>root, then run the command :-

>    modprobe msdos

>If this command works, you should then beable to access your MS-DOS
>filesystems as before.  Next you will want to set things up so that this
>module loads automatically at bootup.  This can usually be done by adding
>the file to your rc.local that will be somewhere under /etc.  Sorry I
>can't be more specific, but I have not used that distribution.  If the
>modprobe command above returns an error, then you will need to re-compile
>the kernel to get it working.

>    Martin

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately modprobe does not work.
Error mesage is "Not found".

But I did find a way to access a DOS formatted floppy. They included a set of
"mtools" for that purpose. "mdir a:" is like the dos command dir a:, listing
the contents of the a: drive. So I was able to "mcopy a:kernel.tgz" to an
empty directory in the minix system. This distribution is a small one intended
for embedded applications, so it does not have everything that debian does.

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Bob » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:59:31



>I'm not familiar with SE, but fwiw the SDK kernel (2.2.13) does not have
>msdos support compiled into the kernel (just ISO9660, minix, proc and
>devPTS).

>If mkfs.minix have been let loose on a floppy, then -t msdos wouldn't
>work, even if msdos support has been compiled in.

I guess I didn't make it too clear that there were 2 floppies involved.
One I was able to format from Linux, and the other was an ibm dos formatted
floppy which I had put the file kernel.tgx on, which I wanted to get into the
Linux box. See my other message today re: mtools. This Embedix system has the
same revision level as you mentioned above:  (2.2.13)

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Bob » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:59:33


On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:41:11 +0800, Michael Baesecke


>What happens when you run fdisk (as root) and print the partition table of
>/dev/hdb ?

>Michael

Disk /dev/hda: 8 heads, 46 sectors, 903 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 368 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             2       791    145337    6  FAT16
/dev/hda2           792       902     20424   81  Minix / old Linux
/dev/hda3   *         1         1       161    a  OS/2 Boot Manager

Disk /dev/hdb: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 828 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1       212    213664+   6  FAT16
/dev/hdb2           213       827    619920    5  Extended
/dev/hdb5           213       655    446512+   6  FAT16
/dev/hdb6           656       676     21136+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb7           677       827    152176+  83  Linux

I guess you asked that question to see if there was indeed an ../hdb5.
You may notice there is a Linux swap partition and a Linus ext2 partition left
over from when I was trying to install Debian.
I was able to access fd0 using one of the "mtools" provided. I expect I will
be able to read  hdb5 shortly. I think all it needs is a line in mtools.conf.

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Michael Baeseck » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:05:27


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


> On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:41:11 +0800, Michael Baesecke

>>What happens when you run fdisk (as root) and print the partition table of
>>/dev/hdb ?

>>Michael

> Disk /dev/hda: 8 heads, 46 sectors, 903 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 368 * 512 bytes

>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1             2       791    145337    6  FAT16
> /dev/hda2           792       902     20424   81  Minix / old Linux
> /dev/hda3   *         1         1       161    a  OS/2 Boot Manager

> Disk /dev/hdb: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 828 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes

>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         1       212    213664+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb2           213       827    619920    5  Extended
> /dev/hdb5           213       655    446512+   6  FAT16
> /dev/hdb6           656       676     21136+  82  Linux swap
> /dev/hdb7           677       827    152176+  83  Linux

> I guess you asked that question to see if there was indeed an ../hdb5.
> You may notice there is a Linux swap partition and a Linus ext2 partition
> left over from when I was trying to install Debian.
> I was able to access fd0 using one of the "mtools" provided. I expect I
> will
> be able to read  hdb5 shortly. I think all it needs is a line in
> mtools.conf.

> -----------

> Remove "not" for return address.

You're right, Bob. The reason I asked about this is that I was (and, still
am) puzzled by the 'no such device' error message. In all distros I know,
attempting to mount without kernel support results in 'unsupported file
system type', rather than 'no such device'.
Looks like your kernel really just has minimal support compiled in, and the
mtools will be your only option, as you figured out yourself.
Just one last idea: did you ever try to 'mount -t vfat', instead of '..-t
msdos'?

Cheers,

Michael
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQE+H3vr2oR3Ec16V1QRAtfMAKDWdtlMUozZsHfHWET/gultJSYUhgCeOPB5
kjdMk+oWVc+yZ05Fei4PLts=
=YeCK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

mount -t msdos... fails

Post by Bob » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:56:40


On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:05:27 +0800, Michael Baesecke


>You're right, Bob. The reason I asked about this is that I was (and, still
>am) puzzled by the 'no such device' error message. In all distros I know,
>attempting to mount without kernel support results in 'unsupported file
>system type', rather than 'no such device'.
>Looks like your kernel really just has minimal support compiled in, and the
>mtools will be your only option, as you figured out yourself.
>Just one last idea: did you ever try to 'mount -t vfat', instead of '..-t
>msdos'?

I probably did try vfat, but don't recall the error message. It certainly did
not work. Which is probably a good thing, as this was on a real 386, where the
non-Linux partitions were in fact msdos with Win 3.11. AFAIK vfat is for the
Win95,Win98 etc ilk.

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.

 
 
 

1. mounting msdos floppy prob: vfsmount(msdos) error

Hi,

I am experiencing a major problem when trying to mount an msdos/vfat
floppy disk. I keep getting vfsmount(msdos) not found errors whenever I
do a mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy. Can anyone suggest whey I keep
getting vfs errors? And do I have to configure anything inside the
kernel for VFS?

Thanks,
Leon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. soundcard under SuSe Linux 7.0

3. "mount -t msdos .." fails w/ Linux 0.99pl7A

4. LUG-IT

5. boot fails as /usr fails to mount in 1st (read only) phase!

6. 4x CDROM (EIDE) - multisession when?

7. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails

8. Frontpage server extension in linux

9. MSDOS bread failed

10. FAQ? Booting MSDOS from partition 1 fails

11. MSDOS bread failed

12. HLP: lilo fail and mba on msdos partition.

13. MSDOS to [MSDOS or Linux] box