How can I go further more with Internet ?

How can I go further more with Internet ?

Post by syco » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:09:31

So I'm glad. I have got apache package, and correctly installed it.
My server acts as a web server. I will use apache as a proxy, so I enabled
proxy functionality ... but
I don't know how to do for dialling with my modem !
I tried pppconfig but it seems not be the only thing I have to do.

How can I continue ?

Thanks.

--
SYCO

Post by dbian.. » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:02:22

> I don't know how to do for dialling with my modem !

Have you looked the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO ?
Davide

Post by syco » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:53:38

>> I don't know how to do for dialling with my modem !

>Have you looked the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO ?
>Davide

No, I don't.
In fact, I have a very small distrib ( zipslack ) and I have not all the
docs bases I would for installing.

And it's a little bit hard for me browsing the web, since I don't have my
server OK.
So I imagined someone can give me the 'big steps' in fee words. For all the
rest, details and all, I can work by myself, I'm not so bad technician.
If yau can, thanks a lot.

SYCO

Post by dbian.. » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:21:50

> So I imagined someone can give me the 'big steps' in fee words. For all the
> rest, details and all, I can work by myself, I'm not so bad technician.

In a nutshell: you must have IP-networking and PPP support in the kernel,
then you need the ppp daemon and various script to start/configure it.
Depending on your distribution you can found some information already
in the distribution CD. At least you have to configure the scripts
for your username, password and (of course) the ISP phone number.

The start/stop script for ppp depends on what kind of system you
use for validation (Chat or Chap).

I strongly suggest that you get and read the HOWTOs, it's a lot
easier...

Davide

Post by syco » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:04:38

>> So I imagined someone can give me the 'big steps' in fee words. For all
the
>> rest, details and all, I can work by myself, I'm not so bad technician.

>In a nutshell: you must have IP-networking and PPP support in the kernel,
>then you need the ppp daemon and various script to start/configure it.
>Depending on your distribution you can found some information already
>in the distribution CD. At least you have to configure the scripts
>for your username, password and (of course) the ISP phone number.

>The start/stop script for ppp depends on what kind of system you
>use for validation (Chat or Chap).

>I strongly suggest that you get and read the HOWTOs, it's a lot
>easier...

Thank you.
I got a paper version of HOWTO, effectively it's better.
But I have another problem yet :

- when I start ppp-go ( slack distrib ), the system responds that
' ppp module lacks in kernel ' !
- if I try insmod -v ppp, the system responds that
' a ppp module already exists ' !
- if I try to unload the ppp module, the system responds that
' ppp module is busy ' !

What a brainstorm.

SYCO.

Post by dbian.. » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:24:25

> - when I start ppp-go ( slack distrib ), the system responds that
> ' ppp module lacks in kernel ' !

Try to recompile it not like a module but inside the kernel.
Check what exactly the ppp-go does (maybe is looking in the
wrong place...).

Davide

1. Install successful using RedHat cd-rom but newbie needs help to go further

I have RedHat Linux 2.1 running on its own partition on my machine.  I
installed from the RedHat cdrom.  I now want to add some applications but my
system won't let me mount the cd-rom drive.  I checked the messages that were
logged during my initial build and the cdrom is recognised as /dev/hdc and it
is a Toshiba, XM5302TA, ATAPI drive.

I tried mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom but it didn't work. All I want to
do is build some applications on my system from the cdroms that came with the
set.  I admit total lack of knowledge and that is why I started this project
to learn.  Could someone help me?  Thanks very much in advance.

Bob

2. can't run binaries

3. Help: ppp-2.3.0 connects, but goes no further...

4. Communication a 14400bps on the serial port?

5. Outgoing mail goes to ISP, but no farther

6. 2.5.70-bk4 isdn

7. Help setting up IPSec, host-to-host encrypted, but can't go farther out.

8. MkLinux DR3 and Netatalk

9. Help Internet network cannot go to INternet

10. local network no Internet PC firewall go to Internet

11. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

12. Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

13. Enlightenment icon box- gone, gone, gone...