Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?

Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?

Post by Ken Sproul » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks in advance for your help.

ls -lni gcal gives the following:
1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal

I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.

I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.

I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

Can any one show me the syntax to remove this file?

Best,

Ken Sproule

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> ls -lni gcal gives the following:
> 1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal

> I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
> there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.

It looks like something has garbled your filesystem.  (Is there any other
evidence of confusion?)

Quote:> I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
> it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.

> I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

> Can any one show me the syntax to remove this file?

In the garbling, its "immutable" bit may have been set.  See the
chattr(1) and lsattr(1) man pages to find out about that and what
to do.

--
Paul Kimoto

Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?

Post by Ken Sproul » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Paul,

>> ls -lni gcal gives the following:
>> 1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal

>> I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
>> there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.

>It looks like something has garbled your filesystem.  (Is there any other
>evidence of confusion?)

Yes, after going to rescue mode and running e2fsck -f on the drive it
errors out with a "Segmentation Fault" comming from e2fsck. Any
ideas?

Quote:

>> I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
>> it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.

>> I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

>> Can any one show me the syntax to remove this file?

>In the garbling, its "immutable" bit may have been set.  See the
>chattr(1) and lsattr(1) man pages to find out about that and what
>to do.

Best,

Ken Sproule

Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Yes, after going to rescue mode and running e2fsck -f on the drive it
> errors out with a "Segmentation Fault" comming from e2fsck.

That could turn out to be a bug in e2fsck.

Do you have the latest version of the e2fs tools?  They are maintained by
Ted Ts'o, at http://web.mit.edu/tytso/www/linux/ext2.html.  (You might like
to report a bug.)

--
Paul Kimoto

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> ls -lni gcal gives the following:
> 1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal

> I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
> there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.

> I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
> it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.

> I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

> Can any one show me the syntax to remove this file?

> Best,

> Ken Sproule

Just my 2c. In "Essential System Administration" O'Reilly is a whole
chapter called "Deleting Pesky Files". Maybe worth a look.
Have fun...
--
    ******* Stanislaw ********
Monolog - one person talking to himself,

1. Can't Delete a certian Character Special file -- Why/How?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ls -lni gcal gives the following:
1100523 c---r----- 8223 8224     8224      32,  32 Jan 30  1987 gcal

I don't understand the 8224 in the user and group columns either as
there is no uid/gid of 8224. Things don't look right to me.

I have tried everything I can think of to try and delete this file but
it always gives me a "Operation not permitted" error.

I have tried rm -f gcal to no avail.

Can any one show me the syntax to remove this file?

Best,

Ken Sproule

2. IPv6 connection tracking

3. delete a special character file

4. Looking for a graphical differential file comparator

5. deleting file with special character in name

6. Install Linux Under Windows 95

7. deleting 'special char' files

8. Finding soundcard at bootup?

9. Can't remove character special file

10. Deleting filename with special characters

11. Why can't I mandatory lock my device special file?

12. 'delete' command in ftp delete files in local hard disk ???

13. Problem echoing special characters with '<<'