Redhat 5.1 crashes during install

Post by McEg » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Why does Redhat 5.1 crash during install, always when copying files to disk.

but it crashes not on the same package sometimes it crashes on 55 Mb or 90
Mb (most i've seen up to now)

Please help me

Marco G?benich

Post by David Joff » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Why does Redhat 5.1 crash during install, always when copying files to disk.

> but it crashes not on the same package sometimes it crashes on 55 Mb or 90
> Mb (most i've seen up to now)

> Please help me

Could you elaborate on what error messages you get (if any?) Or does it
just hang?

I had a problem installing RH 5.0 and 5.1 where it would shut down in
the middle of install, also at seemingly random places while copying the
files. It would spew out some message like "error reading package
header: success" or something like that, then promptly do a system halt
(giving the normal system halt messages.) The problem seemed to be
somehow caused by incorrect jumper settings on the cdrom drive slaved to
one of my IDE hard disks, since by correctly configuring it as a slave
and the HD as master the problem went away.

 - David

David Joffe  djoffe at icon dot co dot za | Linux: Why use windows
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/2018/ | when theres a door?
"Tip of the day: You can avoid neck injury and eyestrain at work
 by just quitting your job and finding one that doesn't involve
 computers in any way."                - LinuxFocus, March 1998

Redhat 5.1 crashes during install

Post by Robert Fise » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem with RedHat 5.2 few days ago when I tried to install
Linux on friends computer. Setup program get signal 11 and just exits. I
tried also with other distributions (SuSE, Debian) and I had problems with
coping files.

-- Robert Fiser

Quote:>Why does Redhat 5.1 crash during install, always when copying files to
disk.

>but it crashes not on the same package sometimes it crashes on 55 Mb or 90
>Mb (most i've seen up to now)

>Please help me

>Marco G?benich

Redhat 5.1 crashes during install

Post by David Cla » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem for a while - I was installing RH 4.2 from
/dosutils/autoboot - turns out I had smartdrv running - disabling it
got rid of the problem.

>>Why does Redhat 5.1 crash during install, always when copying files to
>disk.

>>but it crashes not on the same package sometimes it crashes on 55 Mb or 90
>>Mb (most i've seen up to now)

>>Please help me

>>Marco G?benich

1. problem installing redhat 5.1 - error in script (RPM) reported during install

I have a problem installing redhat 5.1 (i386 architecture):

During the install, some RPM packages report an error in script and are
not installed. This includes important stuff like timezoneconfig and tar.
Some install without problems but most give me 'error in script'.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Regards

Clyde

http://www.maltanetworkresources.com -- Maltese Search engine/directory
http://warping.to -- Free URL redirection

2. How do I remove Linux

3. SuSe 5.3 crashes hard during install of Star Office 5.1

4. Solaris 2.5 x86 and TinyFugue

5. RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

6. Unknown process

7. Error signal 2 during install on RedHat 5.1

8. 'force user' on console level ?

9. SCSI problem during install, Redhat Linux 5.1

10. HELP - RedHat 5.1 hangs up during install

11. CANT MAKE BOOT DISK DURING INSTALL IN REDHAT 5.1

12. RedHat 5.1 install crash - please help

13. RedHat 5.1 INSTALL CRASHES