Establishing a dialup ppp session to a service provider using dip -

Establishing a dialup ppp session to a service provider using dip -

Post by agiro.. » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have been trying to establish a dialup ppp session with my internet
provider without complete success.  I can get dip to dial and access the
remote computer, extract the dynamically assigned address for my session
and the address of the remote computer.  However I cannot ping either IP
address.  If I check with ifconfig only the loopback interface is
configured and if I check the route table only the loopback IP address is
there.  It appears as if the "default" command in dip doesn't truly add
the remote address as the default.  I assume it is suppose to.
Questions:
1.  After dip makes the connection, how does one get the ppp0 interface
up and running (its all compiled into the kernel) and linked to the modem
2.  After dip make the connection, how does one get the route table to
update properly so that the default becomes the remote machine.
3.  Does pppd launch itself when mode: PPP is invoked in the dip script.

The documentation has been very thorough but not sufficiently clear on
these.  I've printed them all, read them all and still can't conclude the
principles underlying the connection sequence.

dip dials  and connects and setsup      OR
dip dials and connects and pppd setsup    OR
dip dials and connects and works together with....

The maze is long and the haze is thick.

Any help with direction on this one would help.

Richard Giroday