What are Bios32 extentions? Are they necessary for Linux?

What are Bios32 extentions? Are they necessary for Linux?

Post by Patrick G. LeBlanc,, 403 234-937 » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi, just a quick question... What are bios32 extensions and are they
needed to use Linux?  I ran the sbpcd linux boot disk as a test to see if my
cdrom would be properly recognized under Linux ( it wasn't with FreeBSD )
and it was seen perfectly, yippee!!  But what was that message all about
that said "No bios32 extensions present, this release still depends on
them, sorry".

Thanks!

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. when was bsd first ported to x86

3. sound: timing probs with MIDI and audio

5. Help! catastrophe: for host error????

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. Kernel Panic

11. I am si**y am I?

12. BIOS32 extentions? Problems booting.