Problem booting up doslinux. Help with kernel error.

Problem booting up doslinux. Help with kernel error.

Post by Mark Lars » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a problem booting up doslinux.  I download the 6 doslnx53.* files and the
> zimagei.exe file. I installed them from c:\ and it created the c:\linux and
> c:\doslinux directories.  It also placed the linux.bat file at c:\ .  So it is
> installed. But when I run linux.bat, it loads the kernel and errors out. I can
> not read what it displays before the error but here is what I can read on the
> screen:

> Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address c00004ed.
> current->tss.cr3=00101000; %cr3=00101000
> *pde=00102067
> *pte=00000000
> Oops=0000
> Cpu=0
> Eip 2048:[<0000b08f>]
> EFLAGS 0010012
> ... (more info if needed)

> When the error occurs, it locks up and I have to reset the computer.

> Computer specifics:
> 486-66dx
> 24Meg ram
> 1.6G ide  (1st channel) Partition c: 400MB
> 230M ide  (1st channel)
> ATAPI cdrom (2nd channel)
> ms busmouse irq 5

Could someone tell me what this kernel error means?  I don't think it is a
script problem.

Thanks
Mark Larson

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. how do I unhook a socket successfully??

3. error - Unable to open an initial console, doslinux version 31, kernel 2.0.30 elf

4. BSDI binaries under FreeBSD

5. DosLinux 7.7 Kernel Recompile Problem

6. Question about cable modems

7. DosLinux 7.7 Kernel recompile problem

8. Does gus module work in 2.1.118?

9. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

10. UPS - software driver for the APC Smart UPS - 600 (Please HELP )

11. help - boot error msg "can't find kernel

12. Booting latest DosLinux to /dev/hdb1

13. Help: CRC Error, While Booting My Linux Kernel