CD-ROM mounting

Post by Humud Ally Sai » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I have installed redhat Linux 3.03 from a CD-ROM. when I completed the
installation I made a LILO boot floppy which I use to boot the system
and it boots just fine. The problem is I can not access the CD-ROM drive
from Linux and I have tried something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
/mnt but in vain since there is no cdrom file in the /dev directory.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Humud Ali Said

CD-ROM mounting

Post by Andrew Evan » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> I have installed redhat Linux 3.03 from a CD-ROM. when I completed the
> installation I made a LILO boot floppy which I use to boot the system
> and it boots just fine. The problem is I can not access the CD-ROM drive
> from Linux and I have tried something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> /mnt but in vain since there is no cdrom file in the /dev directory.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> Humud Ali Said

Hi Humud,

If there is no /dev/cdrom then either create a link from /dev/cdrom
to the actual device ie /dev/hdc or use the actual address in the
mount command ie

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

hda is the master of the primary ide
hdb is the slave of the primary ide
hdc is the master of the secondary ide

Hope this helps

Andy.

Andrew Evans
Philips Medical Systems Nederland
Building QJ 1130

5680 DA  Best                   Voice:          +31 40 2763172
The Netherlands                 Fax:            +31 40 2765650

CD-ROM mounting

Post by Dan Kardel » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Make sure you installed the IDE Kernel (from package Q)

CD-ROM mounting

Post by Colin Bloc » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> I have installed redhat Linux 3.03 from a CD-ROM. when I completed the
> installation I made a LILO boot floppy which I use to boot the system
> and it boots just fine. The problem is I can not access the CD-ROM drive
> from Linux and I have tried something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> /mnt but in vain since there is no cdrom file in the /dev directory.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> Humud Ali Said

cd /dev
ln -s /dev/hda? cdrom
(where ? is the corresponding IDE channel, eg. if your
 CD is set up as a secondary master, then you'd use
 /dev/hdb1, and so on)

Additionally, I suggest making a directory in /mnt for
your mountpoint.. ie /mnt/cdrom.  This way you can use
that dir for other mounts, such as /mnt/floppy, etc.

CB

CD-ROM mounting

Post by Humud Ali Sai » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have installed Redhat Linux 3.0.3. I can load everything including
Xwindows. But the problem is I can't mount the CD-ROM. When I started
the installation (From MSDOS), I specified the CD-ROM as /dev/hdb but
when I try (within Linux) to run mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom it
give me an error message "hdb has a wrong major or minor number". I have
tried using hdb1, hdb2... with no success.

Can anyone please help me the right device file in the /dev directory. I
am using a four speed pioneer CD-ROM (ATAPI).

Thanks in advance,

Humud

CD-ROM mounting

Post by Matthew Fishe » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Try using /dev/hdc (or hdc1, hdc2...) - everything looks ok except where
you are trying to mount it.

-Matt

Quote:> Hello,

> I have installed Redhat Linux 3.0.3. I can load everything including
> Xwindows. But the problem is I can't mount the CD-ROM. When I started
> the installation (From MSDOS), I specified the CD-ROM as /dev/hdb but
> when I try (within Linux) to run mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom it
> give me an error message "hdb has a wrong major or minor number". I have
> tried using hdb1, hdb2... with no success.

> Can anyone please help me the right device file in the /dev directory. I
> am using a four speed pioneer CD-ROM (ATAPI).

> Thanks in advance,

> Humud

CD-ROM mounting

Post by Mike Musiels » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Hi

: I have installed redhat Linux 3.03 from a CD-ROM. when I completed the
: installation I made a LILO boot floppy which I use to boot the system
: and it boots just fine. The problem is I can not access the CD-ROM drive
: from Linux and I have tried something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
: /mnt but in vain since there is no cdrom file in the /dev directory.

: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

: Humud Ali Said

Try the command mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
the /dec/hdc is the directory or mount point for the cdrom that was found
in boot up. If you look through the boot up messages you will find a line
that reads something like found cdrom at /dev/hdc. use where is was found
and substitte it in the above line and use /cdrom for your mount point it
should work ok. If you can't read as fast as the *y thing is
outputting to the screen (and who can). Use the command dmesg after you
login and that will give you all those bootup messaes.

hope this helps.
                                                 ____       _
             Mike Musielski                   | __\_\_o____/_|

                                              |  o'

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. 8 drive ide controller

3. Infomagic CD installation, panasonic CD-rom mount error

4. y2k patches

5. CD-ROM mount

6. Different BootX after installation

7. CD-ROM mounting problem

8. Dumb Question: what are SRM vs ARC Consoles?

9. Special CD-ROM Mounting Problem

10. CD-ROM Mounting Problem

11. CD-ROM mounting

12. cd-rom mount

13. CD-ROM, mounted via NFS on a remote machine access denied