talk utility question

Post by Todd Burge » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok, here's another stupid sounding question:
>    I can't seem to get talk(1) to work.

>I am telnetted into my machine from school, a friend of mine is telnetted
>in from work.  I'd like to open a talk session with him, but all I ever
>get is:
>     [Error on read from talk daemon : connection refused (111)]

     What you need to do is make sure that your dynamic IP address is
in your /etc/hosts file. I used to manually add it in myself
everytime I wanted to send a talk request (then I gave up because I
did not want people to talk request me on my local box). Your problem
has nothing to do with incompatible talk daemons (as has been suggested).

Good luck!

| Computer Science Club System Administrator                               |

1. talk utility question

the problem is that you are almost certainly using incompatable types
of talk. for reasons unknown to me, Sun has a talkd that doesn't work
with any other machine. actually, i really hate Suns.

anyway, you can avoid this whole mess by using the following package.
it allowed me to do successful talk sessions with a person on a Sun as
well as with others who are not using such evil machines.

to-talk-1.4 can be found in system/network/chat on Sunsite mirrors.

later,

-pjf
--
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer

  zifi runs Linux 2.1.56               http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu

2. Sharp 1MB Flash Memory on ISA

3. Looking for source code to a "talk"-like utility

4. Help: Signal 11

5. Talk utility for SYS5R3

6. automount daemon (amd) with yp problems

7. Talk utility

8. clickscape98

9. Talk Utility for SYSV

10. Talk or finger Unix utilities for Win 95?

11. IRC inter net talk utility

12. talk utility, Solaris 7, x86

13. Slackware 1.1.2 talk(1) won't talk to Suns (explain talkd)