Red Hat 4.0 & Sony CDU31A CD

Post by Walter G. Keel » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Every Linux distribution I've installed (Slackwware 2, Red Hat 2 and 3)
has had trouble with the install process not recognizing my CDROM (a Sony
CDU31A 2X connected via a Soundblaster 16), and I've had to use the image
designated as a back-up to all the others, that probed for all devices.
Also, after the installs, I've wound up with /dev/cdrom being linked to
CDU535 instead of CDU31, and had to recompile the kernel.

I just bought the Red Hat Linux Archives CD set with version 4.0, and I'm
having the same experience - I tell the install process I want to use a
CD-ROM drive to install, select "other" (rather than IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
select CDU31A from the resulting list, and that's as far as I get. Whether
I specify the base address and IRQ (cdu31a=0x230,0) to the install program
at the prompt, specify it to LILO with append=, or tell install to
autoprobe, I get the same message - CANNOT DETECT THIS DEVICE ANYWHERE ON
YOUR SYSTEM (or pretty close).

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this? Will the updated boot
image from the ftp site help?

Thanks!

--Walter Keeler

--

Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *
San Francisco, CA                      *******************************

Red Hat 4.0 & Sony CDU31A CD

Post by Valkyri » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

YES, YES, YES!!

I was just about to post the exact same thing!!!!
I also have a Sony CDU-33a connected via SB16 MCD.  It works on DOS, Win95,
Win NT, Caldera, RH 3.0.3, and other linux distributions, but not with Red
Hat 4!!

> Every Linux distribution I've installed (Slackwware 2, Red Hat 2 and 3)
> has had trouble with the install process not recognizing my CDROM (a Sony
> CDU31A 2X connected via a Soundblaster 16), and I've had to use the image
> designated as a back-up to all the others, that probed for all devices.
> Also, after the installs, I've wound up with /dev/cdrom being linked to
> CDU535 instead of CDU31, and had to recompile the kernel.

> I just bought the Red Hat Linux Archives CD set with version 4.0, and I'm
> having the same experience - I tell the install process I want to use a
> CD-ROM drive to install, select "other" (rather than IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
> select CDU31A from the resulting list, and that's as far as I get.
Whether
> I specify the base address and IRQ (cdu31a=0x230,0) to the install
program
> at the prompt, specify it to LILO with append=, or tell install to
> autoprobe, I get the same message - CANNOT DETECT THIS DEVICE ANYWHERE ON
> YOUR SYSTEM (or pretty close).

> Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this? Will the updated
boot
> image from the ftp site help?

> Thanks!

> --Walter Keeler

> --

> Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *
> San Francisco, CA                      *******************************
> http://www.best.com/~wkeeler

Red Hat 4.0 & Sony CDU31A CD

Post by Sahir Siddiq » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Select Sony CDU31/33A from the list, and then enter the parameters
manually.   But when it prompts you with "cdu31a=", change that to
"cdu31a_port=" and then enter your I/O port address and interrupt like
"cdu31a_port=0x300,0".  That should fix the problem.
-sahir
-----------------

>YES, YES, YES!!

>I was just about to post the exact same thing!!!!
>I also have a Sony CDU-33a connected via SB16 MCD.  It works on DOS, Win95,
>Win NT, Caldera, RH 3.0.3, and other linux distributions, but not with Red
>Hat 4!!

>> I just bought the Red Hat Linux Archives CD set with version 4.0, and I'm
>> having the same experience - I tell the install process I want to use a
>> CD-ROM drive to install, select "other" (rather than IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
>> select CDU31A from the resulting list, and that's as far as I get.
>Whether
>> I specify the base address and IRQ (cdu31a=0x230,0) to the install
>program
>> at the prompt, specify it to LILO with append=, or tell install to
>> autoprobe, I get the same message - CANNOT DETECT THIS DEVICE ANYWHERE ON
>> YOUR SYSTEM (or pretty close).

Red Hat 4.0 & Sony CDU31A CD

Post by Walter G. Keel » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Select Sony CDU31/33A from the list, and then enter the parameters
: manually.   But when it prompts you with "cdu31a=", change that to
: "cdu31a_port=" and then enter your I/O port address and interrupt like
: "cdu31a_port=0x300,0".  That should fix the problem.
: -sahir
: -----------------

Thanks, Sahir - that did the trick!

Not that I'm out of the woods yet; after I got the CD mounted, I chose the
option to upgrade my 3.0.3 Red Hat to 4.0, and elected not to modify the
choice of packages; whereupon, about 66% through the install, I got an
error installing Python, then the next package, and so on; I figure I
filled up my filesystem.

Probably my next step will be to format the root partition, and try to get
by without formatting the /usr partition.

Or would formatting the root destroy access to the other physical
partition that mounts at /usr?

--Walter

: >YES, YES, YES!!
: >
: >I was just about to post the exact same thing!!!!
: >I also have a Sony CDU-33a connected via SB16 MCD.  It works on DOS, Win95,
: >Win NT, Caldera, RH 3.0.3, and other linux distributions, but not with Red
: >Hat 4!!
: >
: >

: >>
[...]

1. Red Hat 4.2 with USR 33.6 modem & SONY CDU31A CD-ROM

Hello,

I've had some trouble setting up my modem & CD-ROM with Red Hat 4.2.

The modem is a USR 33.6 PnP model; Win95 configured it to use COM3, and
I've had no
problems using it under Win95.  Linux, of course, is another story.  I set
up /dev/modem to
use /dev/cua2 using Red Hat's control panel, but when I try to activate it
as a PPP interface
using the Network Configuration software, nothing happens.  I still have to
do some playing
around to see if I can talk to it at all.  However, where's the "Plug and
Play" part of Red Hat
that I'm supposed to be able to see?

Also, I've had a lot of difficulty setting up my SONY CDU31A CD-ROM.  It's
hooked up to my
machine via my Aztec Sound Galaxy Basic 16 sound card; I've set it up to
use the I/O that
it's supposed to use, but I'm getting nowhere with this.  Has anyone ever
seen this before?  I've
tried specifying "cdu31a=0x300,0," and other variations, to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

--
Mike Cico
Software Engineer IV

2. scheduling in linux...

3. Sony 33A CD-ROM with Red Hat 4.0

4. Empty child panel extension

5. Red Hat 4.0 and Sony CSD-760E CD-Rom

6. Mounting Problem using SMB

7. Red Hat 4.0 and Sony CDU-31A CD-ROM

8. problem

9. Sony CDU33a & Red Hat 4.0

10. RED HAT 5.0 CDROM MOUNT PROBELMS WITH SONY CDU31A / CDU33A

11. Red Hat Sony CDU31A read errors

12. RED HAT 5.0 CDROM MOUNT PROBELMS WITH SONY CDU31A / CDU33A DRIVE

13. cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a HELP HELP HELP please :-)