java and netscape

Post by Brian J. Roha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

when I log in as root or a user, and go to a web page with netscape 4.72
that needs java I get an error message that jave is not enabled.  What
do I need to do to remedy this?

Brian

java and netscape

Post by glen vajcne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Have you tried:

Edit->Preferences->Advanced->Enable Java ?

cheers

glen

> when I log in as root or a user, and go to a web page with netscape 4.72
> that needs java I get an error message that jave is not enabled.  What
> do I need to do to remedy this?

> Brian

java and netscape

Post by Marc Andre Seli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> when I log in as root or a user, and go to a web page with netscape 4.72
> that needs java I get an error message that jave is not enabled.  What
> do I need to do to remedy this?

You can enable or disable java under Edit / Preferences / Advanced.
While you're at it, take a look at the rest of the Preferences dialog,
which influences Netscape's behaviour to a great extent.

NB: For security reasons, please limit yourself to using the root
account exclusively for administrative purposes.  These should *never*
include running Netscape.

java and netscape

Post by Gero H. Marte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> These should *never* include running Netscape.

Well, as I never go online a root, I use Netscape as root to
administer my system with webmin. Great tool!

--
Gero H. Marten
<http://www.provi.de/gmarten/>

java and netscape

Post by Marc Andre Seli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> > These should *never* include running Netscape.

> Well, as I never go online a root, I use Netscape as root to
> administer my system with webmin. Great tool!

I do not know webmin (so maybe I should not talk about it ;)), but
typical web administration tools do *not* require root access for your
web browser, which is, after all, only used to *display* the user
interface, not to actually do things.

If you connect your computer to the 'net at all, I recommend not using
Netscape and similar programs as root.

java and netscape

Post by dmbr.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a question for you:

I am running windows 95. I created a web site with Frontpage 98. when
the page is viewed by someone using IE it loads great. When the page is
loaded by someone using Netscape w/javascript DISABLED it loads fine.
My question is how do I make it so netscape users do not have to
disable javascript to view my web site?

the website is http://www.home.gci.net/~spotilator/

Thanks

> > when I log in as root or a user, and go to a web page with netscape
4.72
> > that needs java I get an error message that jave is not enabled.
What
> > do I need to do to remedy this?

> You can enable or disable java under Edit / Preferences / Advanced.
> While you're at it, take a look at the rest of the Preferences dialog,
> which influences Netscape's behaviour to a great extent.

> NB: For security reasons, please limit yourself to using the root
> account exclusively for administrative purposes.  These should *never*
> include running Netscape.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

java and netscape

Post by ka.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The other thing that might help is to go to "Suns' Site "www.sun.com""
and download the latest Java Devel Kit. Its free. The latest is 1.2 and
I believe that Netscape is using 1.1. Just follow the install docs that
Sun puts out and make sure the paths are set and that should correct
most problems. I had the same problems but have not had netscape crash
or close by itself since I have done this. As already stated you need
to enable Java. I do not enable Java for e-mail though. One other note
the file is about 22Meg in size. It takes a while...

Bill Sends...

> > when I log in as root or a user, and go to a web page with netscape
4.72
> > that needs java I get an error message that jave is not enabled.
What
> > do I need to do to remedy this?

> You can enable or disable java under Edit / Preferences / Advanced.
> While you're at it, take a look at the rest of the Preferences dialog,
> which influences Netscape's behaviour to a great extent.

> NB: For security reasons, please limit yourself to using the root
> account exclusively for administrative purposes.  These should *never*
> include running Netscape.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Using VI in a shell script

3. RedHat 6 and Netscape fix for Java for things like yahoo Java chat applet

4. Parallel ZIP Drive Installation

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. slow TCP connection initiation with 103582-02 on 2.5.1

7. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

8. MPEG player for Linux???

9. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object

10. WWW Java Netscape

11. Java Media Player as Default in Netscape

12. Netscape: bus error with java