Mounting a flopp disk

Post by Ed Davis » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a 1.2 Meg floppy and wish to mount either a 1.2 disk or a 360K disk
and am getting an error.  I have Linux 1.0.9.  I can successfully mount the
1.44 disk with:  mount -t umsdos /dev/fd1 /mnt
However this does not work on fd0 and I wish to load a DOS disk there.  The
error messages are:
mount: wrong fs type, /dev/fd0 already mounted, /mnt busy, or other error

Any ideas?

Mounting a flopp disk

Post by John S. Atchiso » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I always use the mtools i.e. mcopy, mdir, mdelete etc.  You need root
permission for that drive, but you can set up things so that everyone has
permission on that drive.

Mounting a flopp disk

Post by Rabi » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I have a 1.2 Meg floppy and wish to mount either a 1.2 disk or a 360K disk
> and am getting an error.  I have Linux 1.0.9.  I can successfully mount the
> 1.44 disk with:  mount -t umsdos /dev/fd1 /mnt
> However this does not work on fd0 and I wish to load a DOS disk there.  The
> error messages are:
> mount: wrong fs type, /dev/fd0 already mounted, /mnt busy, or other error

> Any ideas?

First, check that the disk isn't already mounted! (Type ls /mnt and see if
there are any files.)  Also check that the disk has been formatted.  Right,
idiot checks out of the way.

You may have to specify the media type specifically in the mount command.
if you type 'ls /dev/fd*' you will see a variety of floppy devices, like
/dev/fd0H1200 and so on. (I forget exactly what you get - try it yourself.)

So, to mount a 1.2MB floppy in /dev/fd0, try:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0H1200 /mnt

If that doesn't work, check the drive is set up right in your BIOS.  Can
you use it in DOS?  Lastly, are you sure you want to use fs type umsdos?
I thought that only worked on hard disk devices... maybe not.

Rabies

1. Flopp Tape Drive Problem

I recently came across an old Colorado Floppy Tape Drive(QIC-80) and
installed it.
I installed ftape 3.04 and I'm running kernel ver. 2.0.32 and modutils
2.1.34 as recommended by the docs that came with ftape.

Now here is the problem, all the tape motions work o.k. (i.e. rewind,
retension, status) BUT when I actually try to tar something or format
the drive I get an I/O error. If I use ftformat with the
--discard-header argument . It starts but send my system into overtime
with a load average of aprox 2.5 the tape drive stops after about 20
sec. but the command does not exit andd the load average does not drop.
I end up killing the process.

Any suggestions would be apriciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. FreeBSD support PCI->PCMCIA ???

3. Help: How many automount/mount process need to mount same disk.?

4. MICROSOFT

5. Mount Problems (RH7.0) Mounting an "old" SYSV/Xinit Disk!

6. getting started

7. boot problem after mounting hard disk in automatic mount

8. HP9000's in search of OS

9. NFS: mount an already mounted disk

10. Mount Problems (RH7.0) Mounting an "old" SYSV/Xinit Disk!

11. Mounting a 9 gig disk not all of the disk available.

12. e2fsck won't mount same disk after new disk...?

13. Post-Install Partition, Format and Mount of Unused Disk Space on 2nd Disk?