trying to get plug & play soundcard to work...

trying to get plug & play soundcard to work...

Post by Stefan Hetz » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am trying to get my soundcard (Plug & Play, ISA: "Terratec Soundsystem
Base 1") to work with Redhat Linux 6.0. This card is
sounblaster-compatible (at least that's what the manual says). It was
not possible to configure the card with the sndconfig utility. The
sndconfig-auto-detection outputs the following error message after
trying to play a sound sample:
/etc/isapnp.conf:64 -- Fatal - resource conflict allocating 16 bytes of
IO at 220 (see /etc/isapnp.conf)
/etc/isapnp.conf:64 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device
activated
/etc/isapnp.conf:64 -- Fatal - Error occurred executing request
'<IORESCHECK> ' --- further action aborted

After that, I tried to configure the soundcard manually (with
sndconfig), but this didn't help too. The same error message reappeared
again and again with the IO-Address I selected. I looked at
/proc/ioports but none of the io-addresses that I tried was occupied. I
also tried to enter various configurations in /etc/isapnp.conf - without
success. There was always this "resource conflict"-error message,
although these resources are not occupied (according to /proc/ioports).

I am using the Award Bios 4.51 (Plug & Play).

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,

Stefan

Post by Davi » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I am trying to get my soundcard (Plug & Play, ISA: "Terratec Soundsystem
> Base 1") to work with Redhat Linux 6.0. This card is
> sounblaster-compatible (at least that's what the manual says). It was
> not possible to configure the card with the sndconfig utility. The
> sndconfig-auto-detection outputs the following error message after
> trying to play a sound sample:
> /etc/isapnp.conf:64 -- Fatal - resource conflict allocating 16 bytes of
> IO at 220 (see /etc/isapnp.conf)
> /etc/isapnp.conf:64 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device
> activated
> /etc/isapnp.conf:64 -- Fatal - Error occurred executing request
> '<IORESCHECK> ' --- further action aborted

> After that, I tried to configure the soundcard manually (with
> sndconfig), but this didn't help too. The same error message reappeared
> again and again with the IO-Address I selected. I looked at
> /proc/ioports but none of the io-addresses that I tried was occupied. I
> also tried to enter various configurations in /etc/isapnp.conf - without
> success. There was always this "resource conflict"-error message,
> although these resources are not occupied (according to /proc/ioports).

> I am using the Award Bios 4.51 (Plug & Play).

> Can anyone please help me?

> Thanks,

> Stefan

Turn off the PnP os  option in your bios first then if you are using windoz
you will be able to get the correct IRQ  and I/O  settings needed

Good Luck.
David

1. yggdrasil plug&play && NEC 3xi && ultrastor

        Howdy Folks!

        I really like the idea of plug & play linux from my cdrom.  (At least until
I can budget a dedicated hard drive.)  However, I've had some rotten luck and from
the other posts, I see that I'm not alone.  Specifically, I'm having trouble convincing
the kernel to talk to the cdrom drive.  From the back jacket the of yggdrasil package,
any SCSI cdrom w/ any supported controller will work?  Apparently not so.

        As I understand it, the NEC 3Xi supports both SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 commands and
I've tried jumpering the drive for both.  Nope.  The controller is an ultrastor 14F
and I KNOW that this controller works 'cause I used the same board last year with a
WREN 4 SCSI hard drive. (linux ran fine w/ this board)  Just to be sure, though, I
tore apart my machine, reduced it to a minimal configuration, and hung the cdrom off
my Sound Blaster 16-bit SCSI-2 connector.  Both configurations work fine off of DOS
but generate error messages under linux.  In fact, the error messages seem to suggest
that the cdrom is viewed as an Sony IDE of some type.  ?

        To add insult to injury, I attempted to use those fancy DOS call-backs by
booting a vanilla dos then launching "runlinux.bat".  Nope.  I get roughly the same
error messages when the kernel attempts to talk to the cdrom.  (not quite the same
messages, but close)  Note that I'm using a vanilla DR-DOS v6.0 without emm386.
I'm about to give up but I'd certainly entertain suggestions at this point.

                                        Thanks ahead of time,

                                                Jens Farmer

2. demand dialing with pppd

3. How Do I Get SB 16 Plug & Play Card to Work on RehHat Linux

4. Some questions from a linux gimp/newbie

5. Plug-and-play soundcard - severe trouble!!

6. 2.5.70: pcmcia oops (a real one! honest!)

7. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

8. Info on Apache Module API??

9. Help:What ist the address of a Plug-and-Play Soundcard?

10. Help, Plug and Play Modem (SupraExpress 28.8i PNP) and Soundcard (SB AWE64) installation problems

11. ESS 1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive soundcard

12. PS/2 mouse & AMI plug & play bios

13. DiamStlth 64Dram & plug&play