Red Hat 5.1 and Backpack CD-ROM Trouble

Post by John P. Rayn » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I recently purchased an old 486-based laptop with 8 megabytes of RAM and a
510 megabyte internal hard drive (an AST "PowerExec"), and am trying to
install Linux from the Red Hat (version 5.1) distribution CD-ROMs, via
a MicroSolutions "Backpack" external CD-ROM drive.

I created a boot floppy disk with RAWRITE.EXE.
I encountered no difficulties, until I tried to specify that I would be
installing from the Backpack CD-ROM drive.  At this point, I got the
following (rather ominous) message:

    "In some cases, the bpcd driver needs to have extra information
     to work properly, although it normally works fine without.  Would
     you like to specify extra options for it or allow the driver to
     probe ypir ,acjome fpr the information it needs?  Occasionally,
     probing will hang a computer, but it should not cause any damage."

Hoping for the best, I allowed the installation software to "Autoprobe"
for the Backpack CD-ROM drive.  Unfortunately, I got the following (even
more discouraging) message:

    "I can't find the device anywhere on your system."

Discouraged, but not defeated, I went back, and chose "Specify options"
instead of "Autoprobe," and got this (in a dialog box entitled "Module
Parameters"):

   "Module Options: _____________"

I checked the CD-ROM "HOWTO," and found nothing that looked like the
solution to this problem.  I also looked in the books I had on hand
("Running Linux, 2nd Edition" and "Linux Unleashed, 3rd Edition"), and
found nothing there, either (but I'm not particularly surprised, since
both were fairly general guides, and this looks like a pretty picky
problem).

I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the CD-ROM drive
hardware itself -- it works quite nicely under MS-DOS and Windows 3.1
(indeed, that is how I got RAWRITE.EXE and the boot disk image).

Does anyone know how to get Red Hat to locate and recognize my
BackPack CD-ROM drive?  What have I done wrong, or failed to do?

                                                             - J. Raynor

Red Hat 5.1 and Backpack CD-ROM Trouble

Post by Robert Lync » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[posted and e-mailed]

> : I created a boot floppy disk with RAWRITE.EXE.
> : I encountered no difficulties, until I tried to specify that I would be
> : installing from the Backpack CD-ROM drive.  At this point, I got the
> : following (rather ominous) message:

> :     "In some cases, the bpcd driver needs to have extra information
> :      to work properly, although it normally works fine without.  Would
> :      you like to specify extra options for it or allow the driver to
> :      probe ypir ,acjome fpr the information it needs?  Occasionally,
> :            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :      probing will hang a computer, but it should not cause any damage."

> My apologies for posting without adequate spell-checking.
> This was my mistake, not the installation program's, and
> ought to read: "your machine for"
>                                              - J. Raynor

I have one of these on an old machine and I can get it to work without
anything special.  This is with Debian already installed.

The driver source code: extra/bpcd.c includes this:
----
    The driver will attempt to detect which parallel port your
        backpack is connected to.  If this fails for any reason, you
        can override it by specifying a port on the LILO command line
        (for built in drivers) or the insmod command (for drivers built
        as modules).   If your drive is on the port at 0x3bc, you would
        use one of these commands:

        LILO:      bpcd=0x3bc

        insmod:    insmod bpcd bp_base=0x3bc
----
I don't know if the port number listed is a standard one, or just an
example. But you could try this during install (after options just put
bpcd=0x3bc).  If this fails, maybe you could figure out the actual port
is on some other way...

HTH.

Bob L.
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rm*/

Post by John P. Rayn » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: I created a boot floppy disk with RAWRITE.EXE.
: I encountered no difficulties, until I tried to specify that I would be
: installing from the Backpack CD-ROM drive.  At this point, I got the
: following (rather ominous) message:

:     "In some cases, the bpcd driver needs to have extra information
:      to work properly, although it normally works fine without.  Would
:      you like to specify extra options for it or allow the driver to
:      probe ypir ,acjome fpr the information it needs?  Occasionally,
:            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:      probing will hang a computer, but it should not cause any damage."

My apologies for posting without adequate spell-checking.
This was my mistake, not the installation program's, and
ought to read: "your machine for"
                                             - J. Raynor

1. Red Hat v4.2 & Backpack CD-ROM?

The doc for Red Hat Linux v4.2 says that parallel port-based CD-ROM drives,
except for Backpack, aren't supported.  I'd like a little more explicit
reassurance before I try to install off this drive.

So ... *does* Read Hat Linus v4.2 support installation off a 2x parallel
port-based Backpack CD-ROM drive?

Please reply by e-mail as I rarely read this newsgroup.

Thanks.

***** Steve Snyder *****

2. DDI/DKI kernel functions for current time

3. Backpack CD-ROM and Red Hat 4.1

4. aboutC..advice

5. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM

6. Where are the environment variables?

7. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat 5.1 CD-ROM $1.95

8. answerbook/docviewer script for mit X11R5 -- repost

9. Back Pack cd-rom problem On Red hat 5.1

10. red hat 5.1 and scsi cd-rom

11. Red Hat 5.1 will not see my ATAPI cd-rom

12. Red Hat Linux 5.1 and Sony CDU 711 CD-ROM Drive

13. CD-ROM troubles installing Red Hat 4.2