GTK and the autoconfigure

Post by Daniel Naughto » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've had this problem trying to compile several programs that require
GTK.  If anyone can advise me, I'd appreciate it.

Three of the autoconfigure programs that create a Makefile give the
following error

checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.15... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: GTK not installed

But when I do the rpm check

gtk+-1.1.15-2
gtk+-1.2.0-1

I had the problem, couldn't upgrade the gtk+ library because of some
dependencies I didn't understand, so I installed a later one on top of
it.  Not exactly the smartest thing, but I a little lost.  Is there
anyway to debug this mess.

TIA

Dan Naughton

GTK and the autoconfigure

Post by Daniel Naughto » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I tried the following to see if it would help

rpm -e --nodeps gtk+-1.1.15-2
rpm -e --nodeps gtk+-1.2.0-1
rpm -Uvh --force gtk-1.2.0-2

But I'm still hosed up.  I'm still getting the same error in every
configure program.  If anyone has figured this out., I'd like to know
what you did.  For those who understand this, this is the error every
configure program spits out, and this is what I've tried.

checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.15... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: GTK not installed

I checked the gtk package

gtk+-1.2.0-2

Whick I guess is good :)

I've checked out this /usr/bin/gtk-config file.

1.1.15

I guess this "gtk-config" file is not updated with the new gtk+
package.  Inside the file is an "echo 1.1.15".  The error message said
you may want to edit this, so I edited the file and changed that to
1.2.0.

1.2.0

This didn't do anything - same error.  I didn't think changing the echo
line would do much, but I didn't know what else to edit in the file.
The config.log has the following right before is crapped out:

/usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:25: glib.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/gtk/gtkarg.h:23,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtkobject.h:23,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtkaccelgroup.h:27,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:24,
                 from configure:4821:
/usr/include/gtk/gtktypeutils.h:23: glib.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 4819 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
 return ((gtk_major_version) || (gtk_minor_version) ||
(gtk_micro_version));
; return 0; }

There is no /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h  on my system - so that makes
sense, but there is a /usr/include/gtk/gtktypeutils.h.

What is "gdk" - it's not a package I installed?

Sorry this is so long - but I didn't know which piece was the most
relevant.

If anyone could let me know what other things to try, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Dan Naughton

GTK and the autoconfigure

Post by n.. » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I've had this problem trying to compile several programs that require
> GTK.  If anyone can advise me, I'd appreciate it.

> Three of the autoconfigure programs that create a Makefile give the
> following error

> checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.15... no
> *** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
> for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
> installed
> *** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter
> case, you
> *** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
> configure: error: GTK not installed

> But when I do the rpm check

> gtk+-1.1.15-2
> gtk+-1.2.0-1

> I had the problem, couldn't upgrade the gtk+ library because of some
> dependencies I didn't understand, so I installed a later one on top of
> it.  Not exactly the smartest thing, but I a little lost.  Is there
> anyway to debug this mess.

> TIA

> Dan Naught

The best way to do this would be to remove the 2 gtk libraries you have
installed, and reinstall the new one (1.20)

rpm -e --nodeps gtk+-1.1.15-2
rpm -e --nodeps gtk+-1.2.0-1
rpm -Uvh --force gtk-1.2.0-1

Should do the trick.

-- Nadeem

GTK and the autoconfigure

Post by Marco Fonsec » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Man, that's the exact problem I am having and, like you, have not been able
to fix. If one of us finds a solution, maybe we can share it with one
another?

_____________

_____________

>There is no /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h  on my system - so that makes
>sense, but there is a /usr/include/gtk/gtktypeutils.h.

>What is "gdk" - it's not a package I installed?

>Sorry this is so long - but I didn't know which piece was the most
>relevant.

>If anyone could let me know what other things to try, I'd appreciate it.

>Regards,

>Dan Naughton

GTK and the autoconfigure

Post by Daniel Naughto » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I tried the uninstalling glib, gtk+ with the rpm program and recompiling
them, then doing the make install.  That part went smoothly.  I then
went back to the ./configure program for some other downloads.

The first ./configure program spit out "missing gnome libs", so I went
and downloaded the gnome libs - which also has a ./configure script.
Guess what - it says that GTK is still hosed up and it won't work

checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: GTK not installed

the config.log file says this wsa the culprit
/usr/local/include/glib.h:66: glibconfig.h: No such file or directory

Last night when I was trying to find the solution by installing and
uninstalling rpms of the various gnome, gtk and glib rpms, it seemed
that the gtk-config file is part of the gtk+-devel rpm and not the gtk+
rpm.  Now that have scrapped the rpm plan and gone with the "make
install" method, I don't know where the gtk-config file is created
from.  I think the last straw was when I was rpm installing the
gnome-libs, it was looking for something called "gnome-audio" which
I couldn't find anywhere.  I gave up.

I emailed RedHat about the problem - they told me to get lost - if the
5.2 installed okay, their work is done.  (What do you expect for $40)
The fact that their RPM program that was supposed to manage this type of
*and it works so poorly is apparently not a problem with the rpm
program, but with the programmers out there.  Great!

I spent some time at the gnome, gtk sites, but I didn't make much
headway.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.  TIA

Dan