NNTP News To Local Machine

Post by William P. Hyde » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to configure my system for news locally.  I currently read
over my slip connection using trn.  I would like someway to pull down
selected news groups (preferebly those in my .newsrc) for later reading
on my local machine.  I would have my machine pull down articles throughout
the day with cron.

Can this be done and if so how?  I would like some other solution than
UUCP.

thanks
--
Bill Hyden                                  Student Pilot

NNTP News To Local Machine

Post by Bill Tidwel » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

The solution is run INN.  Its included with most of the big Linux distrbutions, and
it will let you set up your own NNTP server..

NNTP News To Local Machine

Post by Steffen Ullri » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to configure my system for news locally.  I currently read
>over my slip connection using trn.  I would like someway to pull down
>selected news groups (preferebly those in my .newsrc) for later reading
>on my local machine.  I would have my machine pull down articles throughout
>the day with cron.

>Can this be done and if so how?  I would like some other solution than
>UUCP.

check my homepage or get ftp://ftp.xensei.com/pub/users/ccrlphr/newspkg3.tgz
it is a TCP/IP based offline reader (NNTP protocol) - the highlights:

        * reading and posting news
        * works with any newsreader wich supports local reading
        * RFC977 compatible but automatic use of available extensions
            ( -> should work with any nntp-server)
        * 3level include/exclude of articles based on regular expressions
            ( including tool for deleting long unused expressions and for
            generating expression from trn kill-files )
        * simple configuration

        * automatic deletion of old (read) articles
        * automatic update of all necessary files after getting the news
        * multiple connections to nntp-server to speed up the process
        * tools for receiving very long articles (binaries)
        * written completly in perl (small but powerful programs !!)

--
                                        Steffen Ullrich

                    http://www.xensei.com/users/ccrlphr/

1. NNTP News & Local News

Is it possible to use an NNTP server for Usenet newsgroups, yet still have a
local news setup readable to the NNTP configured news readers? Ie. They
would use an NNTP connection to read normal newsgroups, but local newsgroups
specific to my system they could access?

--

 Orbital OnLine Services (Metropolitan Edmonton Internet Services/Training)

2. grep - how to do it

3. News/NNTP server alternatives for local spool?

4. Samba,localhost,ftp & telnet woes.

5. Howto redirect traffic from local machine to internet back to local machine?

6. Blinking LED on cdu31a

7. INN/nntp - news server for internal news?

8. need AT2500 drv for linux

9. help:feeding news to local news server

10. Local pop, ftp and telnet not working to local machine.

11. How to get news via term w/o NNTP server access?

12. C-News & NNTP Question

13. INN/nntp - is this a news server too?