Can't log into Mandrake-Linux, please help!

Can't log into Mandrake-Linux, please help!

Post by John Rogers » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
I have Mandrake linux installed on my Pentium machine.  I've been trying to
find a stable configuration for X-windows with only marginal success.  Now,
apparently linux has stored an instruction to fire up X-windows at bootup.  I
don't want that, and I don't think I chose this behaviour, but nevertheless,
I've got it, and X-windows  tries to start up immediately following the login:
prompt.  However X-windows only starts up to the extent of displaying the
gray screen without the large 'X' in the middle.  After the gray screen
appears, the system appears blocked and there is no further progress.  I have
tried to use the ctrl-alt-backspace escape from X-windows, but it doesn't have
any effect; indeed, no key strokes or mouse activity seems to have any effect.
Thus, I'm completely blocked except for reinstalling Linux which I'd rather
not do.

I am writing this in the hope that some linux guru will read it and offer a
suggestion that will allow me to recover.  My thanks go to those who take the
time to read this and extra special thanks to those who will offer a
suggestion.

Best wishes,

John Rogerson

1. Please help, i need major help, i cant boot into mandrake linux 8.1

first of all, thankyou so much for taking the time to raed my post, i have no
clue what to do, and ive spent 2 hours searching the net, and reading
tutorials, and i cant find any help.  I really want to learn linux, but i cant
even get in.

the error says this as soon as i boot:

/dev/hdb1: Unexpected Inconsistency, RUN fsck manually (i.e., without -a or -p
options)

failed to check filesystem

Do you want to repair the errors?

They i type yes, and then it repeatedly says "y" down the side of the screen.

that would be very helpful.

2. Need Help on jobs

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Archives of this newsgroup?

5. xdm puzzle

6. Can't install libtiff, config.log enclosed, please help.

7. Fun with Linux.

8. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

9. Security: ``Linux-Mandrake'', a new innovative Linux-distribution available

10. LINUX mandrake 7.1 sorry the modem is busy PLEASE HELP

11. Please help w/ DSL and LINUX Mandrake 7.0

12. ZOLTRIX 'WINMODEM' WITH LINUX? help please...