Midnight Commander file permissions problem

Midnight Commander file permissions problem

Post by George Kapuscins » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm a real newbie running RH 5.2. My link to Midnight Commander in
X-Windows has never worked, and now that PPP is up and running
finally, I'd like to take advantage of a better file management shell
than the alternative that came with my distribution.

I ran a Package Manager "verify" on the MC package and it came back
with two files not having the right permissions.  Unfortunately it
gave numerical values for the permissions instead of the actual
permissions.

The files are:   /usr/bin/mc
                 /usr/bin/mcedit

I did try changing permissions in the /usr/bin/mc file until the
"expected" number matched the actual one, and when I started the same
process in /usr/bin/mcedit it also changed the number in the mc file.
It seems that the permissions are interrelated.  Now, if this gives
any of you pros a chuckle or a belly laugh at my expense, I gladly
offer this joke up to you as payment for help with this problem.

If anyone who has a working copy of Midnight Commander would be so
kind as to list the permissions for these two files, I might be able
to get mine going as well.  However, if I'm on the wrong track here,
please let me know also.

Thanks much.  It's been a real struggle, but I'm finally starting to
feel like the frustration has been worth it.

George Kapuscinski

If replying by e-mail, please delete "removethis" from my address

Midnight Commander file permissions problem

Post by Ian Brig » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: /usr/bin/mc

100755

: /usr/bin/mcedit

100755

:It seems that the permissions are interrelated.

mcedit is a link to mc.

Good luck.

Ian

Post by Tony Ada » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I'm a real newbie running RH 5.2. My link to Midnight Commander in
> X-Windows has never worked, and now that PPP is up and running
> finally, I'd like to take advantage of a better file management shell
> than the alternative that came with my distribution.

Midnight Commander needs to run in a terminal window (from what I can
tell). Have you tried to start it from a shell prompt? "mc" worked for me.
But if you have X-Windows working, have you tried the Gnu Midnight
Commander? It's a great improvement over MC.

Does RH come with some kind of command prompt such as grun or gnome-run?
if so, try entering gmc in there and see if it runs. Also try the "locate
gmc" from a shell prompt.

Anyway, the file mc in my /usr/bin/ has permissions of 755 as does most
of (all of?) the rest of the stuff in there.

--
Tony Adams
tony(AT)atoms.net

1. How to tell Midnight commander to view tar file wth permission 555?

 Hi, I use some script to backup my system into few tar files and burn
them into CDRWs.

However I don't know why when my system mount these backup file as
executable file. So when I try to view the content, mc will try to
execute it rather than viewing the content of the tar file.

Is it possible for me to view the content of the tar file in mc, even it
permission is something like 555?

2. Diald only connects for a second

3. Midnight Commander 1.0 (was Mouseless Commander)

4. Dual Boot of Unixware 7.0 and NT - How without commercial boot manager?

5. How can I search file at midnight commander?

6. Canon BJC 4100 & Red Hat 5.1

7. ANNOUNCE: Midnight Commander 2.1 file manager

8. two NIC's in the same subnet

9. Midnight Commander: Viewing graphics files?

10. Problems with Midnight Commander

11. Problems with midnight commander

12. problem with midnight commander

13. No colour with Emacs and Midnight Commander: ncurses problem?