I'm a real newbie running RH 5.2. My link to Midnight Commander in
X-Windows has never worked, and now that PPP is up and running
finally, I'd like to take advantage of a better file management shell
than the alternative that came with my distribution.
I ran a Package Manager "verify" on the MC package and it came back
with two files not having the right permissions. Unfortunately it
gave numerical values for the permissions instead of the actual
The files are: /usr/bin/mc
I did try changing permissions in the /usr/bin/mc file until the
"expected" number matched the actual one, and when I started the same
process in /usr/bin/mcedit it also changed the number in the mc file.
It seems that the permissions are interrelated. Now, if this gives
any of you pros a chuckle or a belly laugh at my expense, I gladly
offer this joke up to you as payment for help with this problem.
If anyone who has a working copy of Midnight Commander would be so
kind as to list the permissions for these two files, I might be able
to get mine going as well. However, if I'm on the wrong track here,
please let me know also.
Thanks much. It's been a real struggle, but I'm finally starting to
feel like the frustration has been worth it.
If replying by e-mail, please delete "removethis" from my address