LILO config for Linux, Windows 95 and DOS

LILO config for Linux, Windows 95 and DOS

Post by George Wa » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I've installed yesterday Windows 95 and got now some problems with
booting to the different OS. I'd like to use LILO as the boot-manager.
So, how do I configure it to boot to Linux, Windows 95 and DOS?
Especially booting to DOS gives me some headaches: I've installed Windows
95 to a different partition (e:\win95), but it's not possible anymore to
boot DOS.

Any help is much appreciated. Please e-mail me directly.

George

(BTW: Installing Linux was MUCH easier for me then Win95 :-)

Post by Albert Cahal » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

G> Hi everybody, I've installed yesterday Windows 95 and got now some problems
G> with booting to the different OS. I'd like to use LILO as the boot-manager.
G> So, how do I configure it to boot to Linux, Windows 95 and DOS?  Especially
G> booting to DOS gives me some headaches: I've installed Windows 95 to a
G> different partition (e:\win95), but it's not possible anymore to boot DOS.

Same problem, but with OS/2.  DOS-like OSes can only recognize one primary
partition and must boot from the first one they understand.
--

Albert Cahalan

1. Windows 95, DOS and LILO

I want to have a MS-DOS 6.22 partition and a Windows 95 partition
on one harddisk and both should be bootable. I configured LILO
with two `other' lines...

  other = /dev/hda1
  label = msdos
  table = /dev/hda

  other = /dev/hda2
  label = windows95
  table = /dev/hda

...but LILO will only boot that partition that I marked `active'
using DOS FDISK.

Can I have two bootable DOS/Windows95 partitions on a single HD
in the first place or is this an unsurmountable system rescriction?

The LILO mini howto explains how to do this with two seperate
disks. Is this the only solution to the problem?

Please also mail a reply if you post. Thanks

Felix

2. I'd rather not be farting around with linux - but rather USING it

3. Windows 98, Windows 95, and Linux with only LILO??

4. Looking for Admin Book

5. lilo dos, win-95 and Linux.

6. want to install dial in modem?

7. Dos commands with Windows 95 to partition disk for Linux

8. gethostbyname error info request

9. Linux access from dos/win/windows 95/NT

10. Windows'95 & OS/2 sux, Linux, DOS and System 7 are good

11. Linux, Windows 95 and Dos together !

12. Linux, LILO and Windows 95