RedHat new user..RPM question

Post by Dave Bro » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to compile a kernel for a laptop.  It seems that there's no pcmcia module on
the system, so I suppose I have to go get one from RPM.  I see a
kernel-modules-2.0.18...rpm in the RPMS directory of the CDROM. It's a couple of megs.
Do I have to install the whole package, or can I somehow get a piece of it?

PS: Is there a menu interface to rpm?  Why is this so much tougher than Slackware?
(Maybe others are better at typing 32-character-long file names than I am.)

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

Post by David Keel » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I'm trying to compile a kernel for a laptop.  It seems that there's no pcmcia module on
>the system, so I suppose I have to go get one from RPM.  I see a
>kernel-modules-2.0.18...rpm in the RPMS directory of the CDROM. It's a couple of megs.
>Do I have to install the whole package, or can I somehow get a piece of it?

>PS: Is there a menu interface to rpm?  Why is this so much tougher than Slackware?
>(Maybe others are better at typing 32-character-long file names than I am.)

>--
>Dave Brown   Austin, TX

I thought that PCMCIA was something that has to be compiled in and
is included in Red Hat 4.0.  I seem to recall being prompted in
config for pcmcia support.  RPM is a new way for installing binaries
(things like Xview and gcc) that are not part of the kernel.
This should be easier or the as difficult as it would be in slackware.

You will probably have to install the entire kernel-modules rpm
to get the one you want.  Red Hat uses a control panel in the
X window system to manage rpm installations.  It's real easy to
use.  It will check your system to see what is installed and what
is left (uninstalled) on the CD and you can select what you want.
The package management software makes installing binaries as mindless
as MacOS.  Enjoy!

dave keeler

Post by Steven Sob » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: PS: Is there a menu interface to rpm?  Why is this so much tougher than Slackware?
: (Maybe others are better at typing 32-character-long file names than I am.)

Two words, Dave: filename completion. Use your TAB key. :>

--
  Steve Sobol    | Officially labeled LAME by Brandt Fundak... & Proud of it!
 Cleveland, OH   |

Post by Dave Bro » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>: PS: Is there a menu interface to rpm?  Why is this so much tougher than Slackware?
>: (Maybe others are better at typing 32-character-long file names than I am.)

>Two words, Dave: filename completion. Use your TAB key. :>

Thanks for the reminder... I usually am using a Korn shell, and I never got filename
completion to work (don't know if it was in Ksh88).

Actually, though, I was more thinking of the menus you get with the Slackware install.

Someone mentioned an X interface, which would be terrific if X could run on a vanilla
system without configuring.  I usually start working on getting X running after I've
gotten my other hardware working.

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

1. a new user's question about Redhat 4.1

hi all:

I'm a new Linux user. I just bought Redhat 4.1, My meachine is P166, 40
MB ram, 3 harddrives (c: 1.6 GB, d: 2.0 GB and E: 540MB). I have
following question:
1. I created a partition on C:. I set 500mb for win95. and 1GB for
Linux. When I creat partition. I created about 40mb for Linux swap
(82) and about 900+ mb for Linux native (83). it is ok ? do I need
to creat other partition for /usr, /home ... ?

2. I choose install everything, but when I click game-> Doom under
Xwindows, nothing happens,  I can not  find doom. why ?

Thank you

Henry Lau

2. Using Linux's web server hardware requirment.

3. RedHat 5.1 new user question about X11

4. problems with SEM_UNDO, semop() returns -1 no space left on device

5. (New User) Installing fvwm95, rpm says files needed...?

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. New kernel (2.4.9-6 redhat rpm) pivotroot error

8. Incompatibility with Solaris?

9. Redhat: New wu-ftpd RPM broke?

10. new redhat 1.1pre2 rpm's

11. RedHat users and RPM, how?