pppd won't compile :-((

Post by Prutse » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my system to kernel 2.2.1. All
went well, up until compiling of the new ppp package 2.3.5.

I get an error message when I compile sys-linux.c on line 68. It turns out
that the following line forces a parse error:

typedef __u32           ext_accm[8];

why oh why??

thanks in advance

1. Compiling pppd with cbcp (was Re: can't compile pppd)

Good idea - I've now done that. Infact I've even re-installed the whole
OS too, so its now at RH 5.0.

Well, no. I didn't realise there was a version of 2.2.0g with MSCHAP
compiled into it at the time. Anyway, the current situation is like
this;

I've got ppp-2.3.3 (both src and binary RPMs). I've made the assumption
that MSCHAP and call back aren't compiled in by default, and have tried
compiling my own version. The README.MSCHAP80 and README.cbcp files are
very straightforward, and I compiled pppd with MSCHAP support without a
hitch.

As for the callback, when I patch the ./pppd/Makefile.linux file
according to the instructions, I get success almost all the way there,
and then;

--cut--
cc -O2  -D_linux_=1 -DHAVE_PATHS_H -DIPX_CHANGE -DCBCP_SUPPORT
-DCHAPMS=1 -DUSE_CRYPT=1   -c cbcp.c -o cbcp.o
cbcp.c:50: `PPP_CBCP' undeclared here (not in a function)
cbcp.c:50: initializer element for `cbcp_protent.protocol' is not
constant
cbcp.c: In function `cbcp_send':
cbcp.c:380: `PPP_CBCP' undeclared (first use this function)
cbcp.c:380: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
cbcp.c:380: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [cbcp.o] Error 1
--cut--

When I read the patch that is supposed to update the Makefile to enable
call back, I noticed that the Makefile appears to have changed slightly
since the patch was built (a couple of line numbers are out of sync).

I've never applied a patch before, so I decided to just edit the
Makefile myself. There are only two changes to be made, so I'm confident
I didn't make a balls of it.

I think that the patch was made at version 2.3.0, and I'm trying to
apply it to 2.3.3. I may be talking out of my backside though.
Suggestions, anybody? Please... I'm getting seriously frustrated by this
now, and refuse to revert to Win95. I shan't, I shan't, I shan't....

An easy question - does the binary RPM available from Red Hat's contrib
directory at their ftp site support dial back and MSCHAP by default? I
havn't even considered this possibility, and will be as sick as a pig
(and rather relieved) if it does...

Yes, Red Hat defaults to PPP support via a module. Allegedly.

Thanks for the info.

--
Graham

2. Unable to compile gnome-admin-1.0.54

3. Samba: Can't get browsing to work :-( :-( :-(

4. ?-rescue

5. HELP: pppd won't talk to modem, and won't link up with ISP

6. 'df -k' Error?

7. pppd 2.2.0e won't compile

8. link layer API?

9. pppd 2.3.9 won't compile

10. pppd-2.3.5 won't compile with glibc-2.7.3

11. pppd won't compile

12. PPPD 2.2 won't compile under 1.3.83

13. pppd 2.2.0f won't compile under Kernel 2.0.20