identd ? what is it ???

Post by Michael Delat » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        Hello,

 Can someone explain me what the aim of the IDENTD daemon ??

 THANX

*** Virtual Presence scris ***
Phone+Fax +32 (0)2 - 387.16.45

GSM:        +32 (0)95/50.54.31

identd ? what is it ???

Post by Reality is a point of vi » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 |  Can someone explain me what the aim of the IDENTD daemon ??
 +----

Take a look at RFC 1413.

--
Gary Johnson                                                          "Wahoo."

identd ? what is it ???

Post by Perry Pipla » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Can someone explain me what the aim of the IDENTD daemon ??

When someone on your system makes an outgoing connection, say telnet, ftp,
smtp etc., the remote host will send a query to identd on your system to
get the username of the process owner of the outgoing connection.

I suggest you have it on your system. That way if a user on your system
breaks in somewhere else, they can identify who it is. Otherwise you will
be held responsible.

Time flies like arrows, but fruit flies like bananas.
Perry Piplani                http://perrypip.netservers.com

identd ? what is it ???

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Can someone explain me what the aim of the IDENTD daemon ??

It allows servers on other machines to look up the username of clients
calling from your machine.  This is mostly to allow better logging.

See RFC1413 for details or "man 5 hosts_access" for an example.

identd ? what is it ???

Post by Brian Stempe » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Delatte) writes:

|>  Can someone explain me what the aim of the IDENTD daemon ??

Identd is a daemon that can provide remote machines information
on the user connecting from your machine.  IRC servers make use
of it in enforcing their policies about 'no bots', etc., and
some refuse service if your machine doesn't implement it.  It
is not that common, however, as it pretty much shatters any
anonymity one might hide behind while exploring remote sites
and/or using other Internet services.

-Brian

Brian Stempel
Network Administration // Imagenet, Inc.

1. identd service enabled in X system config, identd loaded at boot, but no identd -- help

I have identd enabled from the system configuration services applet in X.  It starts up everytime on bootup but everytime
I get on irc there is no signs of identd working.  I assume this is a firewall issue and i'm totally lost when it comes to
the linux firewall.  I had selected medium security at install of 7.3.

thank you

2. How to stop the HylaFax server ?

3. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

4. Make an internet server: QUESTIONS and HARDWARE

5. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

6. I looking for a count script

7. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

8. how to format a hd without an os running?

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

11. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?