How to copy hard drive

Post by Michael Laue » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

does anybody know a simple way to make a full backup from one hard drive
to an other.
Is it possible to do this without makeing a partion table on the new
one.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Please send the answer to my e-mail adress.

How to copy hard drive

Post by Ken Kha » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> does anybody know a simple way to make a full backup from one hard drive
> to an other.
> Is it possible to do this without makeing a partion table on the new
> one.

> Thanks in advance

> Michael

> Please send the answer to my e-mail adress.

Try the dd (disk to disk?) command

How to copy hard drive

Post by Detlef Beckman » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> does anybody know a simple way to make a full backup from one hard drive
> to an other.
> Is it possible to do this without makeing a partion table on the new
> one.

> Thanks in advance

> Michael

> Please send the answer to my e-mail adress.

You can copy the device, e. g. using cp or dd.
Example:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
You should note, however, that the output on /dev/hdb will probably not
produce a runnable system, as the hard disks might have different
geometry. And, of course, hdb should be large enough.
It is useful if you want to make a complete backup previous
to a new installation, because you can restore everything without
having to partition the disk again. It also is independent of the OS
that is stored on the disk, since it reads the disk content blockwise
disregarding filesystems etc. I have practised this a few times, and it
works fine. You can, of course, do the same with a tape drive.

Hope that helps, Detlef