Problem with SCSI card under SUSE6.2

Post by <jget.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi ,

    I m searching for informations about LINUX SCSI device

    My computer doesn't recognise my SCSI card for scanner as i have one
first
 an ADAPTEC 2940
    How declare the scanner card as second card ,or force to recognise it,
in the kernel

    thanks

Post by Mike Kenz » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi ,

>     I m searching for informations about LINUX SCSI device

>     My computer doesn't recognise my SCSI card for scanner as i have one
> first
>  an ADAPTEC 2940
>     How declare the scanner card as second card ,or force to recognise it,
> in the kernel

There is a mention of trouble with the adaptec 2940 card on the SuSE site.

I'm running SuSE 6.2 as well and have 4 devices on my 2940UW,  They are
detected fine if I use the boot disk supplied.

Post by Martin Gosseli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi ,

>     I m searching for informations about LINUX SCSI device

>     My computer doesn't recognise my SCSI card for scanner as i have one
> first
>  an ADAPTEC 2940
>     How declare the scanner card as second card ,or force to recognise it,
> in the kernel

>     thanks

I am using SuSE 6.2 with the Adaptec AHA-2940AU without problems.
Even if they mention a SCSI Bios 1.3 (I think) or newer, mine (v1.21 I think
too)
works perfectly with 5 HDs and 1 CD-Rom.  I installed it specifying the
proper SCSI kernel and everyting when extremely well.

Now at boot, I just specify which OS I want to use (Linux, W98 or OS/2...)

Martin

1. aha2940u2w fails with rh61,62 suse6.4, ok w/rh6 and suse6.2

I'm trying to get linux installed onto a P-II with a brand new Adaptec
AHA-2940U2W and having strange problems. It seems that the newer
distributions have a problem with the aha2940u2w.

Any suggestions on how I can proced are welcome!

When it comes time to format the drive, the installation programs take
way too long, I've waited as long as 1 hour before giving up and
rebooting. The drive light stays on for long periods (45-60 seconds)
flickers off for a second, and then comes back on.

Redhat 6.0 is installing now with full partition and surface check, and
seemed to be going ok, SuSE 6.2 installed ok. Partition Magic 4 can
create partitions and format them ext2 without a problem. Full format and
surface check took about 10-15 minutes for 9 gig. Just partition and
format was less than 5 minutes.

Redhat 6.1, 6.2 and SuSE 6.4 all get s l o w. during access to the drive.
Once I tried partitioning and formatting with Partition Magic and then
installing RH 6.2 onto those partitions. When it started copying packages
to the drive it got about 6 gig copied onto the drive and then seemed to
be copying another 1-2 gig every 5 minutes or so (same activity pattern
on the drive status light.)

I've got 2 new WD 9 gig 10k Drives, the correct u2w cable and
Termination. I've even tried moving the cable to the regular ultra
connector on the card to no avail. Only other hardware at this point is a
3com 10/100 card and STB Velocity / RIVA128 4 meg video card.

I've put an older AHA-2940UW and a Seagate UW 2 gig drive in the machine,
and that works fine with everything.
Thanks,
Pat Cassidy

2. lilo

3. difference between dual-single ended scsi card and single ended scsi card

4. Linux X-based Internet Apps - Any Suggestions???

5. SCSI Problem with ISApport SCSI Card (NCR53c406a)

6. HDD translation and partitioning?

7. Very strange problem with SCSI card and Sound Card !

8. Bowman Icon archives anywhere?? help!

9. SCSI: Does one need a special SCSI LVD adapter, over and above a SCSI card?

10. SuSE6.2/XWin3.3.4 graphics card nightmare

11. Getting an ISDN card to work under Suse6.3 ??

12. Kingston Ethernet PC Card not recognized on SuSE6.2

13. Suse6.4 PCMCIA Networkcard-Problem