Redhat 7.2 LILO

Post by Harold Hen » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:23:00

Ok I have installed Redhat 7.2 after which I did all the patches which
included a new kernel. So I re ran lilo and place a boot image on the
floppy(I boot from floppy) Now all I get is L at the prompt the lilo.conf
was modified by REDHAT when I did the upgrade and looks ok). When I  do lilo
-v the only message out of the ordinary is /boot/boot.0200 already exists
no backup copy made. Now there is a boot.0341 there

Here is lilo -v results

Reading boot sector from /dev/fd0
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Mapping message file /boot/message
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
Added linux.bak
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-21
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.4.9-21.img
Added linux *
/boot/boot.0200 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.

Before after doing upgrade all I needed to do was re lilo

Any help would be greatly appreciated

--

Redhat 7.2 LILO

Post by none » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:07:16

Quote:

> Before after doing upgrade all I needed to do was re lilo

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Firstly, Lilo is installed but cannot boot. This is because the contents
or the drive have changed.

Check the paths in lilos config file. "/etc/lilo"
Make sure what it thinks it is booting is actually where it thinks it is.
My bet is just that there is a config error and you need to reinstall
lilo into your MBR. Running "lilo" will do this. But fix the config first.

Now if you touched the bios boot order then you will need to tell lilo
you have remapped the contents. This is done with the "map-drive 0x??"
parameter.

1. Win2k and RedHat 7.2 on different hard-drive dual-boot with LILO??

Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just simply
format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I installed
Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I choose to
install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after install Linux,
I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't even show up. I am
wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb instead of hda. How can I
fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both operating system? Or if I need
to reinstall, what settings do I need to change to make it right? If LILO
couldn't pull a job like this, then which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

Thanx...

2. C question: Why does remove() return 0 on success?

3. lilo configuration - redhat 7.2 and win2k

4. EtherPCI PnP reset..

5. Lilo config win98 - Redhat 7.2

6. tcpd problem?

7. configuring gcc-2.7.2.x on redhat 7.2

8. "gmake" archive dependencies

9. RedHat 7.2 on THinkPad 7.2

10. install problems, redhat 6.2 vs redhat 7.2 on PC-104+ single board computer

11. Help: Upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2 results internet problem

12. Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.4.x or Redhat 7.2 ?

13. changing Red Hat 7.2 to use LILO instead of GRUB