Can AFIO restore Links?

Post by Michael J. Wagn » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

This is kind of part 2 to my 'links' question yesterday. A very big thanks
to all who helped with that!!

Will AFIO recreate links, whehter they are symbolic or otherwise, on
a restore from tape to a fresh partition? As I attempt to recreate my
system on a new drive my AFIO restore doesn't properly restore my links.

After thinking about it a while, I guess that it can't or won't make
the links because the real files aren't even there yet in some cases
(depending where they are on the backup tape).

So, what I'm getting at is: Can AFIO recreate my links on the new drive?
I have read the manaul for AFIO and of the options available there are
2 of which I think would take care of the problem, but I can't get them
to work.

Thanks for any help...

Mike

|         "A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work."         |
|     Homepage: http://www.mcs.net/~wagner  Obligatory Dead Content!   |
|Check out this Gallery-->http://shire.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/MakeTemple|
          S t a n d i n g   B y   P e a c e f u l   W a t e r s

1. afio-restore reports 'Unknown filetype'

Hi,

I have a problem with making backups to a SUN-4mm-DAT-streamer. The
command 'afio -Zvo /dev/rmt/0mb < filelist' seems to write the files
to tape. The report-command 'afio -Zt /dev/rmt/0mb' shows all the
backuped files. When I try to restore them with something like
'afio -Zviny filespec /dev/rmt/0mb' the programm reports
'path/morepath/filename: Unknown filetype'.

Excuse this silly question, but I'm not sure which device I have to
use, is /dev/rmt/0mb the right one? (got it from tapetool-default-setting)

When i do a 'mt -f /dev/rmt/0mb retension' I get 'failed:
Inappropriate ioctl for device'

Any suggestion, where I'm doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated, thanx, ciao, Juergen
--

| Information Science  |                                               |
|      FU Berlin       |  http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/user/huette/  |

2. zip drive crisis

3. How to restore certain files from afio backup ?

4. kodak DC215 zoom

5. Restoring files from tape with afio

6. my desktop size

7. afio archiver:Problems restoring symlinks?

8. ktop

9. How to restore certain files from afio backup ?

10. statically linked afio and tbackup progs

11. Restoring the "History Link" in the sidebar

12. Help in Restoring app links. TIA

13. Backup and restore Of link files