Help: VIA 686A sound chip!!

Post by Kenny Zhu Qil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I recently bought a PC with a ATX VA5 motherboard. It has an on-board VIA
VT82C686A southbridge. When I first installed linux on this machine, I used the
default via82cxx.o that comes with my slakware distribution. I could load the
module with no error but I got no sound. I checked on device dsp, audio, mixer.
Everything seems OK, just no sound. Then I recompiled kernel and installed ALSA
driver written by you. The module could be loaded, too. But I can't find device
/dev/dsp or audio or mixer. The situation looks even worse. Could you guys tell me what went wrong? Your early response is much appreciated.

Kenny

Help: VIA 686A sound chip!!

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I recently bought a PC with a ATX VA5 motherboard. It has an on-board VIA
> VT82C686A southbridge. When I first installed linux on this machine, I used the
> default via82cxx.o that comes with my slakware distribution. I could load the
> module with no error but I got no sound. I checked on device dsp, audio, mixer.
> Everything seems OK, just no sound. Then I recompiled kernel and installed ALSA
> driver written by you. The module could be loaded, too. But I can't find device
> /dev/dsp or audio or mixer. The situation looks even worse. Could you guys tell me what went wrong? Your early response is much appreciated.

Your problems with the ALSA drivers sound like you're trying to use
OSS-style tools without OSS emulation running. Try this:

modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd-mixer-oss

Then try again. Alternatively, use the ALSA sound utilities, like aplay,
instead of OSS sound utilities. Also, note that ALSA mutes all channels by
default, so you'll need to unmute them with the amixer before you can do
anything. One of my systems has the following in its startup script:

/sbin/modprobe snd-card-via686a
/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
/sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
/usr/bin/amixer set Synth 90% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set 'DSP Input' 90% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM 90% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set Aux 90% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set Master 90% unmute

This works quite well for me.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Help: VIA 686A sound chip!!

Post by Duan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> > I recently bought a PC with a ATX VA5 motherboard. It has an
on-board VIA
> > VT82C686A southbridge. When I first installed linux on this machine,
I used the
> > default via82cxx.o that comes with my slakware distribution. I could
load the
> > module with no error but I got no sound. I checked on device dsp,
audio, mixer.
> > Everything seems OK, just no sound. Then I recompiled kernel and
installed ALSA
> > driver written by you. The module could be loaded, too. But I can't
find device
> > /dev/dsp or audio or mixer. The situation looks even worse. Could

you guys tell me what went wrong? Your early response is much
appreciated.

> Your problems with the ALSA drivers sound like you're trying to use
> OSS-style tools without OSS emulation running. Try this:

> modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> modprobe snd-mixer-oss

> Then try again. Alternatively, use the ALSA sound utilities, like
aplay,
> instead of OSS sound utilities. Also, note that ALSA mutes all
channels by
> default, so you'll need to unmute them with the amixer before you can
do
> anything. One of my systems has the following in its startup script:

> /sbin/modprobe snd-card-via686a
> /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
> /usr/bin/amixer set Synth 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set 'DSP Input' 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set PCM 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set Aux 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set Master 90% unmute

> This works quite well for me.

> --

> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Also, once you have done the modload of snd-pcm-oss and OSS sound works,
if the mixer you are using is gmix (the Gnome mixer), you don't need to
use the amixer commands. Gmix knows how to unmute; it has mute buttons
on it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help: VIA 686A sound chip!!

Post by Kenny Zhu Qil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks guys for your reply. What I did was following the the procedure of INSTALL in the alsa package directly: I put those alises of snd-card-0, etc in my /etc/modules.conf, and do modprobe snd-card-0. lsmod shows that this brings up all the modules including via686a, snd-mixer, snd-midi, etc. No oss stuff cos I didn't include those in the modules.conf. Shall I include them and use oss instead? I will try your scripts tomorrow. Thanks again. by the way I use kmix in KDE.

Help: VIA 686A sound chip!!

Post by j.s.bu.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just installed an Aopen AK72 with this sound chip and this procedure
worked for me.  This procedure however is not for the faint of heart.
I had to compile 3 different set of source and add the lines listed
below to get it to work.  Why does it have to be this difficult?
Nowhere in the ALSA documentation does it show you how to properly
install the drivers.  I love linux, but these install procedures (all
of them not just this one) need to be simplified.  Thanks ALSA for the
drivers they work great once installed.

> [Posted and mailed]

> > I recently bought a PC with a ATX VA5 motherboard. It has an on-
board VIA
> > VT82C686A southbridge. When I first installed linux on this
machine, I used the
> > default via82cxx.o that comes with my slakware distribution. I
could load the
> > module with no error but I got no sound. I checked on device dsp,
audio, mixer.
> > Everything seems OK, just no sound. Then I recompiled kernel and
installed ALSA
> > driver written by you. The module could be loaded, too. But I can't
find device
> > /dev/dsp or audio or mixer. The situation looks even worse. Could

you guys tell me what went wrong? Your early response is much
appreciated.

> Your problems with the ALSA drivers sound like you're trying to use
> OSS-style tools without OSS emulation running. Try this:

> modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> modprobe snd-mixer-oss

> Then try again. Alternatively, use the ALSA sound utilities, like
aplay,
> instead of OSS sound utilities. Also, note that ALSA mutes all
channels by
> default, so you'll need to unmute them with the amixer before you can
do
> anything. One of my systems has the following in its startup script:

> /sbin/modprobe snd-card-via686a
> /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
> /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
> /usr/bin/amixer set Synth 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set 'DSP Input' 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set PCM 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set Aux 90% unmute
> /usr/bin/amixer set Master 90% unmute

> This works quite well for me.

> --

> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ALSA sound for Via 686a again !

HI,
It's the same old problem.
It still doesn't produce sound, with xmms still the message like:
device not found...
I checked proc/asound/sndstat, show:

Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.0beta3 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux venus 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar 7 21:07:39 EST 2000 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
VIA 82C686A/B at 0xdc00, irq 5

Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 (UART)

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Obviously that audio devices, and synth devices didn't enabled, I have no
ideas where
to enabled them.

Any ideas ?

2. 1 pc, 2 domains, 2 networks, is it possible ?

3. modprobe for via 686a soundcard fails

4. Theme problems

5. ALSA Via 686A build problem, patch

6. problem with sort on multiple keys

7. odd timer bug, similar to VIA 686a symptoms

8. Automatically load modules?

9. via 686a audio driver rate locked at 48Khz

10. VIA VT8363 & 686A

11. Can't Configure VIA Sound Chip

12. VIA sound chip

13. sound-quality of VIA VT1616 audio chip