Where can I find a site to download a copy of Linux?

Where can I find a site to download a copy of Linux?

Post by Du.. » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I've looked everwhere for a copy pf Linux but, I don't know what to
download. There are lots of files but I'm not sure which on to DL.

Post by Oliver Cor » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: I've looked everwhere for a copy pf Linux but, I don't know what to
: download. There are lots of files but I'm not sure which on to DL.

Maybe the best thing for you is not to download something from the net
but to go to the next bookshop and buy a real Linux introduction. The
majority of these books comes with a CDROM on which you'll find one
or even several "Linux distributions" --- i.e., complete sets of
Linux software, together with detailed explanations, setup software
etc. Famous distributions are Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, SuSe,
Caldera Desktop, and a few more. Not all of them are *free*, some of
them are commercial (like Caldera which in principle is based on Red
Hat). You'll get everything you need without downloading 200-300MB
of software through your wires.

Good luck!

Oliver.

--

c/o Wuertz    Wielandstr. 20  telephone:   ++ 49 - 30 - 852 93 75
12159 Berlin  GERMANY

Post by D.D. Elli » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I've looked everwhere for a copy pf Linux but, I don't know what to
> download. There are lots of files but I'm not sure which on to DL.

My suggestion would be to go to:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP
and start there.
   That is the place for all the information you could possibly want to
know about Linux, including how to download it (BTW, if you install from
floppies, it will take you 75 disks to install a full Slackware
distribution).

HTH

D.D. Ellis

Post by John Thomps » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>I've looked everwhere for a copy pf Linux but, I don't know what to
>download. There are lots of files but I'm not sure which on to DL.

Decide on a distribution, and download the dist from a sunsite.unc.edu
mirror or a mirror site for the distribution you use.  At sunsite, the
distributions are kept in the pub/Linux/distributions directory.
Since sunsite itself is often so busy, you would probably do better to
use mirror site.  There are mirror sites all over the world.  Here are
some US mirrors:

   Atlanta, GA...  ftp.cc.gatech.edu  /pub/linux/
   Chapel Hill, NC...  sunsite.unc.edu  /pub/Linux/
   Concord, CA...  ftp.cdrom.com  /pub/linux/sunsite/
   Dallas, TX...  ftp.siriuscc.com  /pub/Linux/Sunsite/
   Fayetteville, AR...  ftp.engr.uark.edu  /pub/linux/sunsite/
   Flagstaff, AZ...  ftp.infomagic.com  /pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/
   Laurel, MD...  ftp.linux.org  /pub/mirrors/sunsite/
   Minneapolis, MN...  ftp.cs.umn.edu  /pub/Linux/sunsite/
   Norman, OK...  ftp.uoknor.edu  /linux/sunsite/
   Pasadena, CA...  ftp.fuller.edu  /mirror/sunsite/
   Raleigh, NC...  ftp.redhat.com  /pub/mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/
   Rochester, NY...  ftp.rge.com  /pub/systems/linux/sunsite/
   Salt Lake City, UT...  ftp.pht.com  /mirrors/linux/sunsite/
   San Jose, CA...  ftp.yggdrasil.com  mirrors/sunsite/
   Sunnyvale, CA...  ftp.drcdrom.com  /pub/linux/sunsite/
   Waukesha, WI...  ftp.wit.com  /unix/linux/
   Urbana, IL...  uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu  /pub/systems/linux/sunsite/

I hope this helps.

John Thompson
--
http://www.isu.edu/~thomjohn/

1. Hi, need to find a FTP site to download IE4.0 for linux

I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is too
long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
(ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
please tell me!

Thx :)
Bluez

2. EtherWorks3 card help

3. Help finding a download site

4. Compaq WL200 PCI wireless network card

5. using find and copy to copy directories

6. Kounqueror & Java

7. Needing a site to download Linux

8. message during the shutdown process

9. New linux site like Download.com