linux refuses to execute rc.M and other /etc/rc.d scripts

linux refuses to execute rc.M and other /etc/rc.d scripts

Post by Lewie Dekk » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello all and sundry,

Installed slackware Linux 2.0.0 November last year on my laptop (Acer 486dx50,
12 MB, 325 hd),  and all worked well including scsi and network support over
pcmcia cards. Untill 3 weeks ago when my system crashed (hard disk too small,
hence /usr tree entirely put on Jaz drive over pcmcia; Jaz crashed).

Now I've been trying to reinstall, all seems to go well, but the rc.M script
is no  longer executed, neither any of the other scripts in /etc/rc.d  Beats
me where I got to go and find out how to make Linux do it. Anybody else ever
had this problem?

Am now running linux on a 275 mb partition, 50 for DOS and slakware disk sets.
 Installed linux using BARE.I and PCMCIA.GZ as boot and root disks latest
(same result with COLOR144 or SCSI.S though), all from the August 96 6CD set.

Am at a loss here. Before the crash I had the thing running as an intranet
server,  now nothing works anymore.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Post by Michael Delat » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Installed slackware Linux 2.0.0 November last year on my laptop (Acer 486dx50,
>12 MB, 325 hd),  and all worked well including scsi and network support over
>pcmcia cards. Untill 3 weeks ago when my system crashed (hard disk too small,
>hence /usr tree entirely put on Jaz drive over pcmcia; Jaz crashed).

 Try a "mknod /dev/console c 4 0"

Regards,

*** Virtual Presence scris ***
Phone+Fax +32 (0)2 - 387.16.45

GSM:        +32 (0)95/50.54.31

1. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

What is the difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?
I am using Redhat 8. I did a diff on them and they are identical.
/etc/rc.sysinit is apparently a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit since it
says that it is that file, even though it's not (see below).

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - run once at boot time

I want to change something in whichever of these scripts is run at
bootup, but I don't know which one gets run.

Thanks,
Russell

2. MAKEFILES, Include paths and libraries

3. Boot problem: " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" "

4. Ksh: print string with multiple lines

5. Solution to cannot execute /etc/rc.d/rc.S and so on

6. vfat write wrong value into lcase flag

7. Cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc" error!

8. How To Go Completely, Stark Raving Insane

9. init: cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S"

10. Cannot Execute rc.S and rc.M scripts

11. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

12. /etc/rc: sendmail parms don't match /etc/rc.conf

13. /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: No such file or directory