RH5.2 install problems re:signal 11

Post by Michael and Katherine Tod » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I hope someone out there can help me. I am a newbie trying to setup a
spare box with only Linux. Box is a 486DX4-100, 16M RAM, 850MB Maxtor
HD, Trident 1MB video card, no modem, no SCSI devices, generic CD-ROM
(cd is hdb on primary interface), 1.44 floppy, no printer. I just
finished trying tonight to install again with no XWindows, approximately
197MB. Got signal 11 about 30MB into install. This is about the fourth
time that install has stopped, usually around 30-40MB. Does anybody know
what sig. 11 signifies. I really would like to get RH or some other
release installed and up and running. Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

RH5.2 install problems re:signal 11

Post by David Kirkpatric » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

It may be due to not setting up the partitions correctly.  With
your setup you could probably use /boot  30 meg, swap 50 meg and
the rest to /.  So you would make these with fdisk.  Use option l
in fdisk to make the swap partition a swap type (82).  When you
get out of fdisk it will put you into druid where you will name
them during an edit - swap does not need to be named.

Quote:

--

1. RH5.0 Install problems ("Signal 11")

I'm trying to install RedHat 5.0, and it fails every time.
I'm installing off a FAT16 partition, and it gets all the way to the point
where it's processing the RPMS directory (just after you tell it where to
find the stuff), and then it dies with a message "install exited
abnormally -- received signal 11"... then it gives a couple messages about
sending kill signals to the system, and says I can safely reboot.

The system I'm installing on is this:

(Clone) Pentium/166, ASUS P55TVP4 M/B, 128 MB EDO, WD Caviar 3.1GB drive
(auto setup by BIOS as LBA,Mode 4, 3166MB), Diamond Stealth 3D 2000, Intel
EtherExpress Pro/10+.

The source partition is a 500 meg FAT16 partition starting at the beginning
of the drive.  Then I have a approx. 2 gig NTFS partition and then the last
partition on the drive is the Linux native & swap partitions.

So far the only thing I can think of is the LBA mode (maybe it needs to be
normal instead?), the number of cylinders (BIOS is reporting a bit over 6000
cyls in LBA mode), ... the linux partitions are definitely way past 1024.
I'm trying to avoid switching the drive from LBA to NORMAL unless absolutely
necessary since I'd have to do a loooooot of reinstalling :-).

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Dave Stults
stults at engr dot orst dot edu. (Anti-spam defensive measure)

2. Readonly Functions?

3. Signal 11 on NoName RH5.2 install

4. Edlabel and SCSI disks on MicroVax 3100

5. rh5.2 / 6.0 / suse5.2 : setup then received signal 11 -what is this?

6. Unix subprocesses

7. RH5.1 : 'Signal 11' on tar,more,...

8. Risk Mitigation & Management

9. please help with RH5.0 SCSI signal 11 !

10. While installing RedHat 5.0 : "install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11"

11. Problems when install RedHat 5.0 (signal 11)

12. Install Problem... signal 11

13. signal 11, signal 8 Error?